Wife's drysuit woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My wife recently got a new drysuit. It is a high density neoprene suit that has Apeks inflator and dump valves. She loves the suit with the exception of the fist size wet circle in the center of her chest and upper arm exactly where the valves are.

Is this just something she needs to learn to live with? Or is there something that can be done about it?

We found a thread that recommended closing the dump valve 2-3 clicks which she has done but it has not resulted in any change.

We have tried to tighten the valves down as well, the dump valve tightened about 1/8-1/4 turn but that had no affect on the situation as found after her last dive.

We would take the suit back to the shop but the shop is closed until September as the owner is away on vacation.

Any advice?

-Z

On the inflator valve, the only “expected” source of that dampness would be from practicing a disconnect and reconnect of the inflator hose under water. No way to avoid blowing a little water in. If that isn’t it, then there is some other issue to solve.

On the arm, anytime she is pressing the valve to dump air and nothing comes out, a little water can go in - just like a BCD inflator. While that could be a leaky install, it is more likely she just needs to get used to the suit and weighted properly to avoid over use of the valve.

On the inflator valve, the only “expected” source of that dampness would be from practicing a disconnect and reconnect of the inflator hose under water. No way to avoid blowing a little water in. If that isn’t it, then there is some other issue to solve.

On the arm, anytime she is pressing the valve to dump air and nothing comes out, a little water can go in - just like a BCD inflator. While that could be a leaky install, it is more likely she just needs to get used to the suit and weighted properly to avoid over use of the valve.

hmmm....she is not pressing the dump valve at all. She leaves currently leaves it in the same position from start of dive to finish.

We have not moved on to disconnecting/reconnecting the inflator hose either...she has done this in the pool a couple of times but she is currently trying to get her buoyancy and body control situated. Right now, in the water she is task loaded with trying to get and stay horizontal, trying to relax, and figuring out how to keep her balance. She has been certified for a bunch of years but has very little time in open water (@ 8 hrs total logged open water dive time).

She wants to dive this fall and winter and is trying learn how to dive the suit while the weather is nice...but she is concerned about the two wet spots...so am I.

-Z

I had this issue with an inflator valve on a drysuit and lubing up the inside of the valve made it stop. Not really sure why, but it worked, and is probably worth a shot!

dude unscrew the valves have a look hook the inflator up have a fiddle give them a wash blah blah blah

I would suspect the valves are not sealing well against the suit. I would completely remove the valves and inspect the sealing surfaces. Could also be pin holes in the suit around the valves if the suit was ever folded around the valves.

If nothing obvious is seen, reassemble, put her in the suit and inflate the suit. Spray soapy water around the valves to see where the leaks are.

My wife recently got a new drysuit. It is a high density neoprene suit that has Apeks inflator and dump valves. She loves the suit with the exception of the fist size wet circle in the center of her chest and upper arm exactly where the valves are.

Is this just something she needs to learn to live with? Or is there something that can be done about it?

We found a thread that recommended closing the dump valve 2-3 clicks which she has done but it has not resulted in any change.

We have tried to tighten the valves down as well, the dump valve tightened about 1/8-1/4 turn but that had no affect on the situation as found after her last dive.

We would take the suit back to the shop but the shop is closed until September as the owner is away on vacation.

Any advice?

-Z
Since it is both valves the connection between the suit and the valves is likely not secure. I have fixed this successfully by unscrewing the valves (separating them from the suit) and applying silicone grease to the surface and re-tightening.

Could be the valves. Definitely worth checking that out.

Could also be something else. Neck seal or neck seal seam leaks can travel. Pooling in the chest is not uncommon. Get a t-shirt large enough to go over the undergarment that shows wetness. Gray is often good, black or white not so much. Wear that on the next outing and inspect immediately after getting the suit off.
Women have a larger delta between head and neck size. To have the head get through the neck seal sometimes you have a sloppy seal around the neck. My wife often appreciates help getting hers off it is so tight to seal the neck correctly.
Get vertical a bit, the neck burps, and water can run in. Or, maybe a poor seam job letting a little water in.

Could be the valves. Definitely worth checking that out.

Could also be something else. Neck seal or neck seal seam leaks can travel. Pooling in the chest is not uncommon. Get a t-shirt large enough to go over the undergarment that shows wetness. Gray is often good, black or white not so much. Wear that on the next outing and inspect immediately after getting the suit off.
Women have a larger delta between head and neck size. To have the head get through the neck seal sometimes you have a sloppy seal around the neck. My wife often appreciates help getting hers off it is so tight to seal the neck correctly.
Get vertical a bit, the neck burps, and water can run in. Or, maybe a poor seam job letting a little water in.

We have localized the leaks to the valves from the standpoint that it is warm enough that she does not need anything but thin under-garments in her suit and is only wearing a polypro t-shirt and polypro leggings. When she removes her suit there are two very apparent wet spots on her shirt right at the position of her inflator and dump valves. There isn't a trail leading to other areas of the suit....her very first dive in a the suit in a pool her arm was wet because the wrist seal had not been properly installed in the si-tech wrist cuff, we pulled it apart and reinstalled and that fixed that problem...the origin now is very specific and very apparent.

I purchased a mooring float/boat fender (see picture below) to block the neck seal and suspend the suit from...I will use some water bottles to block the wrist seals, inflate the suit and spray with a soapy solution to investigate further.

Since the suit is only a few weeks old, I would rather let the shop be the first to pull the valves so they can't dismiss the issue and claim that the problem is caused by us removing/reinstalling the valve ourselves. Once they remove/replace them then its fair game for us moving forward. The only problem is the shop is closed until the end of the month.

-Z

upload_2019-8-13_16-55-22.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom