Wide angles - AOI or Inon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex B

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wondering if anyone has any views on preference between Inon UWL-H100+Dome or AOI UWL-09? In particular on sharpness, flexibility of zoom thru while maintaining that focus and dome scratch resistance?

Many thanks.

Alex

AOI UWL-09 has a plastic dome hard coated the Inon is 100% glass.
In terms of zoom through this is not just a characteristic of the wet lens but of the master lens and depends on how the entrance pupil shift when you zoom. In general once you get a lens that is pretty steady with the zoom any wet lens with a dome will zoom through and optical quality will stay relatively unchanged ie the better lens continues to be better when you zoom

AOI UWL-09 has a plastic dome hard coated the Inon is 100% glass.
In terms of zoom through this is not just a characteristic of the wet lens but of the master lens and depends on how the entrance pupil shift when you zoom. In general once you get a lens that is pretty steady with the zoom any wet lens with a dome will zoom through and optical quality will stay relatively unchanged ie the better lens continues to be better when you zoom
Thanks but not sure how that answers the question?

Thanks but not sure how that answers the question?

1. Question glass will always be superior on a wet lens for reflections
2. The question about zoom through cannot be answered as it is not dependant on the wet lens alone

Thx Interceptor. I’m not worried about reflections on the AOI. I am mainly wondering about zoom through sharpness on the Inon as well as the other 2 questions. It’s a product specific question. My set up is LX10 with Ikelite housing so not going mad on cost no option wides and the choice comes down to these two lenses. Thx.

Inon will always be better also with ikelite housing you probably need type 1 to get the lens closer to the port
The distance back of wet lens to port is a important factor to determine sharpness

Thx Interceptor. Sharpness due to distance of lens rear element from port glass is a separate issue in which both are optimised (the Inon with a Type 1 protruding rear element for Ikelite housings as you say). I’m asking about maintaining sharpness thru zoom range. I am told by Ocean Leisure Cameras that the AOI retains sharpness thru the zoom range better than the Inon but i cant find any detail on that online and looking for anyone with experience of that with these 2 lenses to add some colour on what focal range exactly is the sharpness of the Inon likely to be limited to on my LX10 and how much better is the AOI than the Inon on this issue? Thx

I am told by Ocean Leisure Cameras that the AOI retains sharpness thru the zoom range better than the Inon

Based on what? Unless you have a test done with a ruler this is just a random statement

There is a thread below in this same Panasonic branch showing your AOI lens vignettes in ikelite housing so for me the lens is not close to the port in fact it looks flush
Sharpness is mostly defined by the distance of the glass so if the glass sits far away the lens wont be sharp and it will vignette
Usually what costs less performs worse. I think if you want some performance you need to consider nauticam WWL-1 or Inon UWL-H100 with dome. Once you add all parts probably it makes sense to get the Nauticam
Your AOI lens looks very similar to the fix or Idas made in china from the same plant. Glass and then hard plastic coating nothing sensational but good performance on smaller sensor if you get the lens close
I think for your Ikelite your best best is the Inon type 1

Thanks Interceptor, the question though is on sharpness through the zoom range between the Inon H100 + Dome II vs AOI UWL-09. They are both the same price and both vignette until you thru from LX10 24mm wide to about 30mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom