Wide angle wet lense question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisSG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

I am pretty new to photography and have a question on wide angle wet lenses: We have two compacts, a G9 and a G11, both in Patima housings with 67mm thread. I know that the G9 is 35mm and the G11 28mm focal length and I know that Inon for example makes two different wide angle models for them, the UWL 100 and UWL H100. I also get that the problem with the 28mm camera and the lens for a 35mm camera would translate to a lot of vignetting. What I do not know: What happens the other way around - can a 35mm camera use the UWL H100 and what would be the effect or downside?

Obvious reason for asking - I'd strongly prefer to only buy ONE lens and use them on both...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Chris

You should be able to use the H100 with the G9 but the FOV will be greatly reduced. Using the older UWL100 you would have to zoom the G12 and I am not sure how much the Patima short port allows this, but that would be an excellent combination with the Patima and G9. These are just educated guesses since I have the older UWL100 with dome and have used it on several cameras.

N

Thanks... that basically confirmed my fear that there is not really a way to use one lens on both.

The UWL-100 is according to all tests I found online pretty much unusable with the G12 and the Patima short port and if the H100 has a much smaller FOV on the G9 it kind of defies the idea of a wide angle...

I guess I better get some more macro lenses then first - they fit both, are stackable and future proof. I foresee us upgrading to DSLR in the not too distant future, so buying a wet lense for the G9 that does only fit older cameras looks like a not so smart investment...

Thanks... that basically confirmed my fear that there is not really a way to use one lens on both.

The UWL-100 is according to all tests I found online pretty much unusable with the G12 and the Patima short port and if the H100 has a much smaller FOV on the G9 it kind of defies the idea of a wide angle...

I guess I better get some more macro lenses then first - they fit both, are stackable and future proof. I foresee us upgrading to DSLR in the not too distant future, so buying a wet lense for the G9 that does only fit older cameras looks like a not so smart investment...

Well, I did not say it was unworkable, but the FOV will be reduced with the G9 and H100 from what the lens is capable of, native, if you follow. Adding the high dollars (and heavy and beautiful) dome would help a bunch, for both rigs. You kind of are in a hard place. I would say, get the H100.

But, as a person ( ----> me) who seems to have a growing collection of obsolete wet lenses, look down the road to your next rig if you can rather than back to your oldest rig. For that, assuming you stay with a P&S type advanced camera, the H100 would probably remain more useful and more value on the market used further into the future.

N

Thanks again. I fully agree that the H100 makes more sense (unless I see an old UWL 100 for cheap in the second hand market) - but I think right now I rather spend the money on another weekend LOB than a dome on top... as long as the season is on over here at least.

(just realized that the wifes camera is actually a G11, not 12 but that does not really make a difference to my question...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom