Wide Angle Setup for Canon EOS R5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Fatzinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all!

I recently picked up an R5 w/ macro setup, but now I'm looking into a good option for wide angle. I want to take reefscape and large animal portraits. Any suggestions? (I'm super new to underwater photography, so detail is appreciated).

Thanks,
Ian

Hey Ian,

This might be late (since your post was three months ago), but I wrapped up a Socorro trip with my R5 a few weeks ago and absolutely loved my experience with the RF 15-35 f/2.8. It's tack sharp throughout the corners (which a lot of lenses aren't!), had great image stabilization with the R5, and I felt like 15mm was wide enough (on a full frame) to still take photos of large animals. I got within one or two week of giant pacific mantas constantly and mostly managed to keep them in frame, so I would recommend the 15-35mm whole heartedly!

I shot it with the Nauticam 8mm acrylic dome (and the Nauticam body), which was a bit TOO positive for my liking. I would recommend getting the glass instead--though you have the tradeoff of if it gets scratched, your SOL. I used it with two Sea & Sea YS-D3 Mark II strobes and the whole housing was positive with regular, lightweight arms that had no buoyancy added. If you get the acrylic dome, I would add some weight to the bottom of the dome port to make it a bit more neutrally buoyant--it felt like I was hanging onto a huge balloon under there with the positive buoyancy.

Hey Ian,

This might be late (since your post was three months ago), but I wrapped up a Socorro trip with my R5 a few weeks ago and absolutely loved my experience with the RF 15-35 f/2.8. It's tack sharp throughout the corners (which a lot of lenses aren't!), had great image stabilization with the R5, and I felt like 15mm was wide enough (on a full frame) to still take photos of large animals. I got within one or two week of giant pacific mantas constantly and mostly managed to keep them in frame, so I would recommend the 15-35mm whole heartedly!

I shot it with the Nauticam 8mm acrylic dome (and the Nauticam body), which was a bit TOO positive for my liking. I would recommend getting the glass instead--though you have the tradeoff of if it gets scratched, your SOL. I used it with two Sea & Sea YS-D3 Mark II strobes and the whole housing was positive with regular, lightweight arms that had no buoyancy added. If you get the acrylic dome, I would add some weight to the bottom of the dome port to make it a bit more neutrally buoyant--it felt like I was hanging onto a huge balloon under there with the positive buoyancy.
Appreciate the reply! I went with the 8-15mm fisheye and 140mm Nauticam Glass dome and use two Inon Z330 Type IIs. I don't plan to shoot a lot of pelagics in blue water, so I opted for the fisheye for CFWA and reefscape, which in turn offers more corner sharpness with the smaller dome. I am getting the 15-35 f/2.8 for landscape/astro though, so I'm glad to hear it performs great underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom