Wide Angle Lens for Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Sony wide angle lens (VCL-MHG07) B000063Y6S.jpg and am think of using it underwater.

Are underwater wide angle lenses different in construction than a typical wide angle lens use for camcorders?

Attachments

• VCL-MHG07.jpg
    VCL-MHG07.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 88
Are you planning to use the lens as a 'wet lens', ie attached to the outside of the camcorder? If so as long as the lens is a single piece of glass then you should not have any issues per se.

If the lens has multiple pieces of glass then you will most likely damage it as the pressure change will cause water to be 'sucked' into it.

I have a number of wet lenses that I use on my POS camera, and of which are specifically designed for UW use, they function pretty well top side too.

Subsee ReefNet Inc. | SubSee Magnifier and Adapter produce a series of wet lenses - mostly for macro work.

Underwater Photography Guide produced this article which you may find useful - Underwater wet lenses by Inon, Dyron, Fix, Fantasea|Underwater Photography Guide

Hope that this helps.

Thanks. This would be a wet lens. It has been collecting dust at home and would be inexpensive to mount on the POS housing.

Kinda what i thought about it being multi pieces, which i am unsure of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom