Wide Angle Lens for Powershot 300HS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been researching the hell out of a new P&S camera for diving and after much deliberation *think* i've landed on the Powershot 300HS.
I've realized that I don't care about RAW (I edit video for a living so the less time spent in front of a monitor at night, the better) - I plan on manually white balancing at depth and/or using correct filters etc. I know the S95 has a larger sensor...but...I was even satisfied at the quality of p&s cameras 10 years ago...
I like the fact that it does 1920x1080 vid at 24p - WITH OPTICAL zooming and autofocus (was shocked to hear the S95 only allows digital zooming unless you hack the software). I also like the 24mm lens on it...
which leads me to my question:
I understand optics to a degree, but i'm having a hard time figuring out the wide angle lens converters for 28mm vs. 24mm. It would seem that you can use any of the wide lenses out there, but possibly just have to zoom in a little to get rid of the edges. Is this correct? Basically, can someone recommend a good external wide angle lens for use with this camera in an Ikelite housing to give me the widest FOV (without spending above the standard $350/400?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom