Wide angle lens for 8080 without black corners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sean00xj

Reaction score
I just purchased an 8080 from buydig.com I also bought a .5 wide angle lens. I am happy with the wider view it gives but it results in black spots in the corners. What lens will provide a good wide angle without the black corners. I upgraded from my p-10 and do not know much about wide angle lenses. Does anyone have a site that explains them. IE: what are the deminsions of a fisheye lens compared to a generic wide angle?

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong..............because the lens moves on this camera, external WA & macro lenses will not work as well as the will on say the 5050. I believe you will have to live with it.

Dave

Those black corners are called "vignetting" which means that the camera is "seeing" the sides of the wide angle lens. Sounds like that particular wide angle lens was not really designed to work with that particular camera.

No suggestion for a better lens, sorry.

W

sean00xj:
I just purchased an 8080 from buydig.com I also bought a .5 wide angle lens. I am happy with the wider view it gives but it results in black spots in the corners. What lens will provide a good wide angle without the black corners. I upgraded from my p-10 and do not know much about wide angle lenses. Does anyone have a site that explains them. IE: what are the deminsions of a fisheye lens compared to a generic wide angle?

The 8080 was meant for a WCON-08D, 0.8x Wide Angle Conversion Lens made by Olympus, not a .5 lens. You can try and zoom in to take out the corners, but then zooming in defeats the purpose of getting a wide angle lens in the first place. You are going in the right direction by wideangle. Not sure which housing you have, Ikelite or Olympus or if you have a dome port already. If not, get a dome port to get back the eq. land angle coverage of 28mm. Hold off on using an add on lens for now, shoot with just the camera's lens set at the widest angle, until you come to the point where you need those extra lens angle. I say this because all single strobe setups cannot fully cover wideangle shots so the edges of the the frame will be wasted anyway. You'll also find the focusing to be much more accurate. The red trim lens on the left is the Olympus flat port I am still trying to machine an Ikelite dome on the Olympus housing.

A dome port will be a necessity for that kind of wide angle lens. Olympus, for whatever reason decided to make a big flat port for the housing. Get the Ikelite port or the UL one for the Olympus housing. Because the screw on lens is so wide you still may need to zoom in a little.

f3nikon, I also have an Aquatica 80 housing.

I have not purchased a housing yet. When I do I will surely go with an Ikelite houseing with a dome. The reason I am after I nice wide angle lens is that I am also a pilot. I would like to be able to take pictures out of my cockpit that capture the entire atmosphere...If i get the 0lympus .8 lens will it fit in the ikelite housing when I do decide to take it under water. Does the .8 have a greater wide angle effect than the .5. The .5 does not seem to make the picture very wide.

.5 should make the picture wider a .8 lens. Even a .8 lens would be pretty wide. Don't forget that the C-8080 already has a 28mm lens.

sean00xj:
I have not purchased a housing yet. When I do I will surely go with an Ikelite houseing with a dome. The reason I am after I nice wide angle lens is that I am also a pilot. I would like to be able to take pictures out of my cockpit that capture the entire atmosphere...If i get the 0lympus .8 lens will it fit in the ikelite housing when I do decide to take it under water. Does the .8 have a greater wide angle effect than the .5. The .5 does not seem to make the picture very wide.

Check with Ikelite for the Olympus lens fitting their dome port.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30068&item=3880148525&rd=1

You multiply the .8 or .5 with your widest lens size ie the 8080 lens is 28mm times .8 would make it a 22.4mm lens angle the .5 lens would make it a 14mm lens.

What you really need is a fisheye lens, which is really wide and will really put a curve in your horizons!

DesertEagle:
A dome port will be a necessity for that kind of wide angle lens. Olympus, for whatever reason decided to make a big flat port for the housing. Get the Ikelite port or the UL one for the Olympus housing. Because the screw on lens is so wide you still may need to zoom in a little.

f3nikon, I also have an Aquatica 80 housing.

Good point, Olympus really goof that one up. Actually my Nikon 8008s (for wide angle 20, 28mm lens) is in an Ikelite housing, the F3 in the Aquatica (for marco work 105, 55mm lens). Now Ill be adding a digital into the mix. Unless some one comes up with a DSLR having an action finder (will not happen soon, I called Nikon), Ill keep the film cameras for now and adding the Olympus 8080 for fish protraits.

Back
Top Bottom