Wide Angle Lens and Inon D-180

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamsh

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the PWC-01 Wide Angle Lens will fit directly onto the olympus PT-016 Underwater housing.

More importantly, is this the best lens for this housing?, I plan to use it with the Inon D-180 Strobe.

Cheers
Adam

It should do - the lens comes with a few different stepping rings, but the PT-016 has got a 67mm thread from memory so it'll screw in without a stepping ring.

I've got the PWC-01, but given the choice again, I'd go for the Inon - you can always get the dome port at a later stage for close focus wide angle shots.

Great :),

Does the lens need a casing, or can it just be screwed on and then taken under?, also can it be taken off/ re-attached while under the water?. Why would you go for the Inon?, I'm guessing you mean the 105 AD. Out of interest how much did you pay for your lens and where from?

Another question, not lens related.

What tray should I use for the D-180 Strobe?, I was looking on the http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/ as it seems to come highly recommended on these boards, only thing that may prevent me from buying there is the warranty issue, I cant send a strobe back to Japan (from the UK) if it suddenly stops working. On the plus side it is nearly 50% cheaper and it looks as though it comes with the optical cable (am i correct?). would I need an AD mount base with this strobe?, I haven't seen one available for the PT-016.

so many questions :)

Thanks
Adam

I really like my Fisheye tray, purchased from Yuzo at UWDigital. You're Inon will work just fine with it. Just send him an email telling him what you want to do. He'll help you and figure the price and shipping for you plus it's always cheaper than going through the order form on his site.

I'll probably get the D-180 myself soon and I don't have a problem buying from Yuzo. So far, Inon has a good reputation with their strobes plus I know he'll stand behind it should a problem arise. But I don't know the hassle it might be to send it back to Japan.

You might want to consider some of the alternatives as people are beginning to report problems with the PWC-01. It seems that the lenses are developing a kind of "purple haze". Hopefully someone will chime in who has one.
TedJ

Thanks for the replys.

Do you know if the fisheye tray is suitable for the PT-016 (has the Stylus 400 inside it).

I have emailed Yuzo asking for his recommendations, but due to time difference I doubt if I will hear from him for a day or 2.

Hopefully they will get some more d-180 in stock soon as I am going away in march and it would be nice to use it then.

I can't guarantee it but I have the new one and it has a moveable base plate that looks like it will adjust to most any reasonably sized housing. It allows for the door to be opened, which not all trays will do. Meaning I can leave the rig together, for days if needed on a trip, without taking it apart just to get the camera in and out.

As for the WA...I've been extremely happy with my Sea & Sea WA 'L' lens.

adamsh once bubbled...
Great :),

Does the lens need a casing (no), or can it just be screwed on and then taken under? (yes), also can it be taken off/ re-attached while under the water? (yes). Why would you go for the Inon?, (the option to add the dome port at a later date for close focus wide angle shots) I'm guessing you mean the 105 AD (not sure). Out of interest how much did you pay for your lens and where from? (from UW digitial - Yuzo)

Another question, not lens related.

What tray should I use for the D-180 Strobe? (fisheye's are very good), I was looking on the http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/ as it seems to come highly recommended on these boards, only thing that may prevent me from buying there is the warranty issue, I cant send a strobe back to Japan (from the UK) if it suddenly stops working. On the plus side it is nearly 50% cheaper and it looks as though it comes with the optical cable (am i correct?). would I need an AD mount base with this strobe?, I haven't seen one available for the PT-016. (i don't know anything at all about the Inon strobes, so I can't help you there!!)

so many questions :)

Thanks
Adam

One thing I will say about buying abroad, is that you WILL get charged VAT by customs. I was lucky in that I live in Jersey, so what I paid for it from the dealers, was the price that I actually paid for it, plus postage of course!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom