Wide Angle lens advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkkchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to pick-up a wide angle lens adaptor with my G10 Fisheye housing. There are two option available. A superwide at roughly 160 degree coverage and a 15mm wide at 90 degree.

I can only get one. Which do people think is most useful overall/everyday?

Is 160 degree TOO wide as your only real wide angle lens option???

Cheers,
Chris

Assuming they are wet lenses that you can remove during a dive the fisheye (superwide) will give you more diversity. On the other hand if you can not remove the lens uw you will probably get frustrated attempting to always fill the fisheye frame. Then the 15mm would be more versatile.

good question Is the G1-0 WA hot swapable under water?

hey Chris

The answers really depend on your personal preferences. Many people would prefer shooting at the 90 degree angle of view (AOV), and others would never choose the 90 over the 160 AOV.

With the 160 degree fisheye you may need to get closer to subjects (sometimes not possible), and lighting will be more difficult (2 strobes help), but the results can be sharper, more dramatic and with better color due to the closer distances.

good luck

Scott

Thanks for the advice.

The lenses are not wet-mount options... although I hear there is a new wetmount option for the canon housing for this camera but only 80 degrees so not really that wide.

I think I will go with the 165 degree super-wide. More to push my photo skills and work on more complex lighting.

Cheers,
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom