Wicked diving or manta queen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onejubb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im doing early research for a similan richelieu liveaboard in feb 2013 and the the two that catch my eye are wicked for their overall vibe and manta queen for its obvious cost advantage.
would appreciate thoughts on why i should choose one over the other(MQ 4d4n is roughly priced same as wickeds 3d2n to richelieu)
im a newbie aow with 22 dives looking to do my first liveaboard, want great diving ,great food, chilled out scene and a lot of fun
cheers!
aravind

The one low budget liveaboard I recommend above others is the Dolphin Queen, always get good feedback from customers. Glad to say that the Dolphin is starting some Burma trips this season too, though most trips will still be 4 days/4 nights to Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock.

I have no vested interest in any op. but was with Wicked in December and have nothing but good things to say about them: very friendly staff, small groups, new and quality equipment and a good size group on the boat -around 15 I think. They really look out for you and it creates a great vibe.

I don't think you will get this with MQ from what i've heard but if price is no1 priority then you get what you pay for.

Aldo is the man to contact if you decide on them. Have fun whatever you decide, you'll love the Similans.

Prabang

Wicked wins my vote for sure. I was so impressed with the 3d Similan trip I did with them in Dec 2011 that I booked a 6d Komodo trip with them next month. They get two thumbs up from me..

I dove with MQ3 about a year ago. What a wonderful boat. I will next try KLSA MQ1 or MQ2, whichever suits my schedule.

btw. I was told that if you have flexible schedules and no real preference on the boat or operator then it is best to simply go to KL and shop around for next day departures on liveaboards. I chatted with a few people who have done this and have gotten significant discounts.

I would stay away from Khao Lak Scuba Adventures. I dived with them a second time just in the beginning of January, and I will not be again. My friend was only snorkelling and had to get collected by another company's boat as they were not paying attention to her when she got swept away. Another lady had a panic attack and the DM had absolutely no idea and was collected again by another company's boat. They were not terrible, but I have never seen this happen once before, let alone twice.

Im doing early research for a similan richelieu liveaboard in feb 2013 and the the two that catch my eye are wicked for their overall vibe and manta queen for its obvious cost advantage.
would appreciate thoughts on why i should choose one over the other(MQ 4d4n is roughly priced same as wickeds 3d2n to richelieu)
im a newbie aow with 22 dives looking to do my first liveaboard, want great diving ,great food, chilled out scene and a lot of fun
cheers!
aravind

I would try and do the Advanced open water course before you do a liveaboard, as you might miss out on a few of the dives on offer due to cert card limitations.
Have a look at South Siam 3 & 4 as well, you ride a speedboat out there instead of a long chug out in slow boats.
South Siam 4 (SSD4)

I would stay away from Khao Lak Scuba Adventures. I dived with them a second time just in the beginning of January, and I will not be again. My friend was only snorkelling and had to get collected by another company's boat as they were not paying attention to her when she got swept away. Another lady had a panic attack and the DM had absolutely no idea and was collected again by another company's boat. They were not terrible, but I have never seen this happen once before, let alone twice.
Yes, lots of new staff there it seems, and IMO not an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom