Why wouldn't you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tfast78

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read through pretty much every thread that came back in search of this forum in going pro containing SSI. I've read the differences of agency to agency but I want to know, why wouldn't you go pro with SSI? I want to hear what you think are the negatives of SSI. I'm also posting under the SSI forum getting the positives but want to hear from people that didn't go with SSI. So, what are the negatives? I also have a thread for if you have positives about SSI, follow this link and post them there please.

Last edited:
SSI requires you to work for a dive shop ... that's all the reason I need to not go pro with SSI ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For me it's a business-driven decision. As an instructor, I want the greatest flexibility in marketing my product (i.e., courses) that I can get. This flexibility in marketing doesn't come from SSI at the moment since they require a shop affiliation for every instructor. In other words, SSI does not permit independent instructors to teach courses and issue certifications.

I've got my own shop, but haven't crossed over to SSI since I see no big advantage to doing so at this point because I can have a no-agency shop the way I've got it set up, and I pay no shop affiliation fees or annual dues to any agency (even though as an instructor I do have an agency and pay my annual professional dues, my shop is entirely agency-independent). I've got an open mind, though, so it's always possible that SSI is in my future.

There is one shop in the city that is a "member in good standing with NASDS and SSI". They offer OW and AOW and that's it. They are also a hobby shop. Another shop sells gear and offers a course or two for technician. The PADI shop (2 outlets) is basically the only game in town and the only one offering courses beyond AOW probably for hundreds of miles.

I would not affliliate with any agency that does not let me teach independently, write my own courses, and encourages me to go above and beyond agency standards as a standard. I also like being able to recommend the best gear for my students regardless of brand. Even though I am a dealer there are some items I don't carry and rather than try and talk a student into a compromise substitution I'd rather they go to my competition and get exactly what they need and want. I really have a problem with their "total diving system" approach as well. Selling a complete gear package and saying it is all the student will need is misleading. I've seen some marketed as a lake package, cold water package, ocean diving package, etc. And based on the ones I saw marketed as such I'd never recommend any of them to a student.

I actually 'did' go with SSI.... as a cross-over, having already qualified as a BSAC and PADI instructor. I didn't renew with SSI for the last few years....

1. Cannot operate as an independent/freelance instructor.

2. Minimal demand for courses (not had a specific request for SSI training in the last 4 years - it's all PADI).

In all other respects, I like the SSI system. Unfortunately, I'm an independent instructor, and I need to supply the courses that are in market demand.

I don't want to side-track the discussion, but this makes me curious:
They are also a hobby shop.
You mean like model trains? As a consumer, I have trouble going to specialty stores that don't actually specialize but instead have highly divergent areas of focus. I mean, a ski + bicycle store makes sense to me, or a surfing + scuba shop, but scuba and model making? If I were a marketing rep for SSI, I'd wonder if the flakiness factor inherent in this pairing wouldn't outweigh the sales target factor for getting shops affiliated with my brand.... IJS.

I don't want to side-track the discussion, but this makes me curious: You mean like model trains? As a consumer, I have trouble going to specialty stores that don't actually specialize but instead have highly divergent areas of focus. I mean, a ski + bicycle store makes sense to me, or a surfing + scuba shop, but scuba and model making? If I were a marketing rep for SSI, I'd wonder if the flakiness factor inherent in this pairing wouldn't outweigh the sales target factor for getting shops affiliated with my brand.... IJS.

Models, trains, toys, "Project Chevy".

It will depend a little on where you want to teach too... If SSI are big in your area, then it might be a good idea. I work in S.E. Asia, and PADI has the lion's share of the market. There are a few SSI shops about too, but it's much easier to find work as a PADI instructor. Many instructor's over here are both SSI and PADI certified. If this is route you're thinking of, then financially I think it'd be better to do a PADI IDC and then cross-over to SSI, rather than the other way round.

As pointed out by others the main drawback to SSI is that you will have to affiliate with a store not allowing you to teach independently- this is what dropped them off my list years ago when I became an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom