Why is the Cressi 'Tropical' mask so inexpensive? Great deal....or junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As I've always understood, Cressi made nice masks, and this mask looks to be as solid as any other brand name mask, costing 2-4x as much.
It's not marketed as a kid's mask, or snorkel mask, and looks to have the same construction features ( wide,feathed silicone, low volume, and tempered glass lenses). It seems the typical selling price is only in the $20-25 range, and I'm wondering if there's any reason this isn't a great mask for the money ?
Amazon.com : Cressi Tropical, black/black : Sports & Outdoors

I had a Cressi tri-view mask for a while (until it started leaking). It was a solid mask, only $30 on Amazon.

Try the mask. If it doesn't work, you're only out $25. If it works, you got a deal and should get several for backup!

As I've always understood, Cressi made nice masks, and this mask looks to be as solid as any other brand name mask, costing 2-4x as much.
It's not marketed as a kid's mask, or snorkel mask, and looks to have the same construction features ( wide,feathed silicone, low volume, and tempered glass lenses). It seems the typical selling price is only in the $20-25 range, and I'm wondering if there's any reason this isn't a great mask for the money ?

Cressi is a quality manufacturer.

They design and produce most of their own products.

Many companies are buying products from OEM companies in China, Taiwan, and other low
labor cost countries, they then mark the product up several times from their cost. The local
Dealer then marks it up again.

With Cressi masks you are seeing a lower cost since they are the OEM which eliminates at least
one round of markups, hence the lower cost. Amazon takes a much lower margin than a LDS,
net result equals a good product at a very good price.

I have been diving Cressi masks for many years, they fit me very well and have an excellent field of vision. I dived a Matrix for a long time, replaced it with a Air Crystal Black when the Matrix was broken on a boat.

The Big Eyes is a good mask, available for $35. I have no reason to think that the Tropical would not be a fine mask. The most important thing about a mask is fit, make sure you are able to try in on.

I dive a Cressi Focus (base mask priced about the same) with the add on prescription lenses. At the time it was about the best value I could find for a prescription mask. That was 10 years ago and it's taken a pounding, but I'm still diving it. Agree though, it's all about the fit. :)

Thanks guys. I'm not much worried about the fit, I've found i can wear nearly any decent, modern mask, and this looks to be a clone of the Sherwood Genesis I dove with for many years, back in the day. I'm sure there's almost zero chance I'll have a fitment issue with it,and as Marie said above, worst case, I'm only out $25 (in which case, one of my nephews gets a new mask! :D )

I cannot speak to the mask you posted about, but I can speak to this Cressi mask, which is only slightly more expensive. I have owned this mask for years and absolutely love it. My wife has one and loves it and my best friend has one and loves it. https://www.amazon.com/Cressi-PANO-...ts&pd_rd_wg=g35a2&refRID=Q6A67MB90FR8H0CW4D97

Cool ^ mask, trailboss !! Blacken those lenses, and it'd look like Darth Vader's scuba mask !! :D

Cool ^ mask, trailboss !! Blacken those lenses, and it'd look like Darth Vader's scuba mask !! :D
Ha Ha! - I have the black one with the green highlights-- It is a steal right now at $31.99

I cannot speak to the mask you posted about, but I can speak to this Cressi mask, which is only slightly more expensive. I have owned this mask for years and absolutely love it. My wife has one and loves it and my best friend has one and loves it. https://www.amazon.com/Cressi-PANO-...ts&pd_rd_wg=g35a2&refRID=Q6A67MB90FR8H0CW4D97
My wife has been diving a Pano 3 for many years. Fits her beautifully and the side windows helped her get past a problem feeling claustrophobic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom