Why is PADI sidemount specialty so much more $$$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSquatch

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm getting both my sidemount and deep specialties in a couple of weeks. Why is the side mount specialty so much more money than other certs? I've noticed it's significantly more at all the dive shops around here. Just curious as to what makes it cost so much more.

It seems like padi across the board is always more fee’s wise.

PADI doesn't set the pries the store or instructor sets the price. Are you comparing against other specialties or against other locations.
If you are comparing other specialties at the same store it may depend on the amount of per student time the instructor puts in. If I was teaching sidemount I would probably limit it class size wanting to make sure I turned out an accomplished student. If you are comparing based on location I'm sure Florida has many more instructors and students than Kansas

I’d ask first who is teaching it. Despite it’s huge increase in popularity, there are some SM instructors running around with far too little experience to be teaching it.
I second this. I took PADI sidemount at my LDS, to prepare for a cavern course in MX. It was woefully inadequate, and the first day of my cavern course was essentially a remedial sidemount course.

Sidemount course, taught well, takes longer and is more intensive than the Deep speciality.
Deep is 4 dives (over 2 days).
Sidemount is 1 full day for fitting and shallow water practice.
Then at least 2 days of diving 4 to 6 dives after that. Yes, I know this is more than the minimum Padi Standard.
I would take the Sidemount course first. Then do the deep speciality using sidemount. Saves carrying a pony bottle if you have 2 tanks in Sidemount and gives you some practice in your new configuration.
Don't underestimate the effort it takes to become a competent sidemount diver.
Also ensure that you get an experienced sidemount instructor, this is not just another "specialty" it is a completely different form of diving.
You dont want to finish the course looking like this:
FB_IMG_1526328704880.jpg

My LDS charges more for sidemount than deep. I suspect the reasons are:
sidemount is longer overall and includes a pool session
They include rental gear in both and sidemount requires more gear and more specialized gear
They have a slightly lower student to instructor ratio for sidemount

Agree. Go visit Protec in Playa del Carmen and spend some time at Mom's Hotel. You never know who you'll run into there.

FWIW, I'm totally confident in my instructor. I was just curious as it seems all the shops around here have very similar pricing scales when it comes to sidemount as compared to the other specialties they offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom