Why I will never book dives through a cruise ship..........again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We’re two families that just got certified over Thanksgiving (2 adults and 5 kids, ages 11 – 15). We’ll be going on a Southern Caribbean cruise next week and I faced the same dilemma when deciding to arrange dives for our families. Most of the cruise ship dive operators required a minimum age of 16. I believe that’s a cruise ship requirement. The kids worked really hard to get certified in 45 degree water so that they could dive in the Caribbean and therefore I booked all 4 of our dives with “outside” dive operators. I also requested that we have our own DM/Instructor and it would be a private dive, with only our group. I want to make sure we are not rushed, get plenty of attention, if needed and are not at a snorkel/dive site with 100 other people. The operators we’re using are; Blue Water Divers @ Grand Turk, Wanna Dive @ Bonaire, The Dive Bus @ Curacao and JADS @ Aruba. Sure it’s probably more expensive than booking through the cruise ship but I wanted this to be safe and a great experience for the kids. This is the way to get the kids to be lifetime scuba enthusiasts… I plan to post our experiences after we return…

I think you made the right choice, given the number of divers in your group, their ages, and experience. And you probably saved money compared with what the cruise ship would have charged.

We’re two families that just got certified over Thanksgiving (2 adults and 5 kids, ages 11 – 15). We’ll be going on a Southern Caribbean cruise next week and I faced the same dilemma when deciding to arrange dives for our families. Most of the cruise ship dive operators required a minimum age of 16. I believe that’s a cruise ship requirement. The kids worked really hard to get certified in 45 degree water so that they could dive in the Caribbean and therefore I booked all 4 of our dives with “outside” dive operators. I also requested that we have our own DM/Instructor and it would be a private dive, with only our group. I want to make sure we are not rushed, get plenty of attention, if needed and are not at a snorkel/dive site with 100 other people. The operators we’re using are; Blue Water Divers @ Grand Turk, Wanna Dive @ Bonaire, The Dive Bus @ Curacao and JADS @ Aruba. Sure it’s probably more expensive than booking through the cruise ship but I wanted this to be safe and a great experience for the kids. This is the way to get the kids to be lifetime scuba enthusiasts… I plan to post our experiences after we return…

Awesome. I apologize that the cruise line set their age limits at 16 but its their decision to make. I am sure for what ever reason they had their reasons for setting it that way. But you will find that groups of people enjoy the sport much better when they are all friends and family.

Its awesome to you wanted to certify the whole family. Be patient like you are too and start out slowly and comfortably. I have seen my fair share of people who get certified then want to make lifetime dive number 5 on the Oriskany. Youll enjoy it much better when your comfortable and feel safe looking at all the sea life without the worry of fighting the currents and the agony of dealing with nothing but blue under you.

Definately too make sure you give us details too!

I have already booked a cruise for next January 2012 with Royal Caribean. I will dive only in Roatan, but as the port time is pretty short I can only do a 1 tank dive excursion. Royal Caribean hires Antony Key Resort for the dive excursions offered and it includes the bus from the port to the resort round trip.
I've already contacted Barefoot in Roatan but, again, owing to the short port time, they recommended only a 1 tank dive excursion.
The Dive school where I've been certified does normally dive trips to Roatan and they go to AKR.
There has been a lot of good comments about AKR, and some bad because they have some captive dolphins.
I'm prone to hire directly in Royal Caribean, as this ensures me to return on time to the ship.

I have already booked a cruise for next January 2012 with Royal Caribean. I will dive only in Roatan, but as the port time is pretty short I can only do a 1 tank dive excursion. Royal Caribean hires Antony Key Resort for the dive excursions offered and it includes the bus from the port to the resort round trip.
I've already contacted Barefoot in Roatan but, again, owing to the short port time, they recommended only a 1 tank dive excursion.
The Dive school where I've been certified does normally dive trips to Roatan and they go to AKR.
There has been a lot of good comments about AKR, and some bad because they have some captive dolphins.
I'm prone to hire directly in Royal Caribean, as this ensures me to return on time to the ship.
Is it RCCL Mariner of the Seas? If so, their dive shop has a couple of outstanding operators who typically dive with the guests. The Anthony's Key was pretty fun-the bus ride over there from the cruise ship terminal is interesting. Coxon Hole where the cruise ship docks is pretty nasty-cheaper souvenirs can be had right outside the terminal.

You wont regret diving with "The Dive Bus", or "Blue Water Divers". Both companies are awesome, you probally could of got away with not even having a private group, since you probally would of got it anyway. They both keep group sizes small. As for being more expensive then the cruise ship, maybe only because of the private setup, if you were on the cruise excursion you would be stretched thin on divemaster ratios. Taxi rides to both shops doesnt get much easier either, wish I knew about the two other shops for you.

Is it RCCL Mariner of the Seas? If so, their dive shop has a couple of outstanding operators who typically dive with the guests. The Anthony's Key was pretty fun-the bus ride over there from the cruise ship terminal is interesting. Coxon Hole where the cruise ship docks is pretty nasty-cheaper souvenirs can be had right outside the terminal.

The ship we will board is the Grandeur of the Seas.

Well, I'm back from the cruise (why good times are always short ?).
I did the dive excursion with AKR directly hired through RCCL.
In the cruise ship we were 10 divers. From experienced divers (I was the one) to novice (only 6 dives under it's belt).
AKR was waiting for us in the cruise dock and took us to the resort with a small bus.
The dive boat was ready and the bus parked right a few meters from it.
The dive master asked all of us our cert card and when was the last dive done.
The ride was pretty short until the dive site "GreenHouse Wall". In fact we were near the coast and the resort.
We 10 divers dived following the dive master. He took us to the wall border, 22 meters depth. The total dive time was 57 minutes. Minimun water temperature was 24 degress Celsius.
The dive was awesome. Visibility was ranging 25 meters though the sky was dark with clouds but no rain.
Marine life is amazing. Two giant groupers were very friendly with us approaching quite a lot.
The dive master guided us to see those nice fishes that live there. The dive was incredible pleasant and every thing turned out well.
After the dive we headed back to the resort. We had time to change wet clothes and board the bus back to the cruise dock.
There, we still had time to do some souvenir shopping, though the shops in the dock are a little disappointing. I wanted to buy a T-shirt with some allegoric drawing and a towel but could find nothing worth.
This was my first cruise, and the experience with the dive hired to the ship was nice.

We had an excellent experience overall! Generally though, the DM would plan a fairly easy, shore dive, just to make sure the kids were comfortable with diving and because of their experience level. The second tank/dive was more interesting as we either did a boat dive or went to a different, more challenging shore location. The only hangup was when the ship couldn't get into Grand Turk and we were forced to cancel our dive as we could see the dock but the winds were too much for the Captain. Blue Water Divers were good about it and only charged us about $100 when they could have kept the full amount for all 7 of us.Pretty much all of the DM/Instructors were very impressed with the kids' skill levels and even made comments that they dove better than most of the rec divers they see. I don't know if they were just trying to get a bigger tip but I too felt the kids were pretty comfortable underwater, kept good control of their bouyancy and stayed off the bottom. Saw some amazing stuff and I know the kids now want to get additional certifications ie dry suit, nitrox, night, etc. Great experience overall. The only rush back to the boat was on Aruba and that was primarily because I want to pick up some ISOM cigars before we had to reboard... 12_30_11 Aruba 006.jpg12_30_11 Aruba 008.jpg12_30_11 Aruba 009.jpg12_30_11 Aruba 010.jpg12_30_11 Aruba 033.jpg

I'm very surprised to hear that the crew abandoned ship. What would have happened if they couldn't have gotten back on? Did the boat briefing (if there was one) instruct in how to make a distress call (Mayday)? Glad everyone got back ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom