Why have a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well let's see, I just got back from a 1hr 4 min dive to 95fsw and did not use more than 400psi of air , 500 psi O2 and did not exceed my ndl.

Found this on the internet;

Advantages of rebreathers include:

• Warm breathing air!—the chemical process of removing CO2 from recycled air heats the gas up to around 105° F.
• The high percent of O2 reduces post dive fatigue.
• You can get up close and personal with marine animals that would normally be frightened by the underwater racket that standard SCUBA systems make.
• Your bottom time remains the same no matter how fast you breath, how hard you work underwater, or how deep you dive.

av8er23:
so basically it will allow you to stay at deep depth for a longer period of time.

teknitroxdiver:
Or use less gas.

You're both right

I think the question should be why wouldn't you want a rebreather (other then price of course)

Found this on the internet;

Advantages of rebreathers include:

• Warm breathing air!—the chemical process of removing CO2 from recycled air heats the gas up to around 105° F.
• The high percent of O2 reduces post dive fatigue.
• You can get up close and personal with marine animals that would normally be frightened by the underwater racket that standard SCUBA systems make.

I disagree with the third item. Think about it: A shark emits no bubbles (normally, at least), so if the theory of 'no bubbles=tame fishies', do you really think the fishies would still be there to look at? Fish don't survive by being friendly with a 6' long neoprene-covered object that's trying to get closer to them....

farrakhan:
I think the question should be why wouldn't you want a rebreather (other then price of course)
cost, extra training, extra maintenance, has more ways to kill you than OC scuba, not supported at some remote locations. There was a post about a guy trying to ship sorb to Galapagos a while back where he was charged an arm and a leg for it.
Rebreathers do not lend themselves to the spray a hose near it type of post dive maintenance. They do cost more than OC scuba but when you factor in an entire unit with regs tanks and bcd the price is not that much greater. When you start doing trimix dives the rebreather wins hands down in operating cost.

teknitroxdiver:
I disagree with the third item. Think about it: A shark emits no bubbles (normally, at least), so if the theory of 'no bubbles=tame fishies', do you really think the fishies would still be there to look at? Fish don't survive by being friendly with a 6' long neoprene-covered object that's trying to get closer to them....
In TRIG's post it said you can get closer to marine animals that.............

"would normally be frightened by the underwater racket that standard SCUBA systems make"

he didn't say that it would allow you to get closer to all marine animals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom