Why dry gloves are in blue color?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

magicfx

Registered
Reaction score
Is any good reasons to make dry gloves for rec/tec diving use in blue color?
Easier to spot contaminated area?
I checked the drysuit manual but the textbook didn't explain the detail about dry gloves.

Latex-Dry-Gloves-1.jpg

kubi_red_latex_resized.png

As shown above, you can get dry diving gloves in colours other than blue. The red ones above were introduced by one manufacturer in response to a request for a brighter colour. I've seen posts here too arguing for the use of inexpensive Marigold gloves, which presumably come in yellow and other hues.

Blue does seem to be the dominant colour of all those now ubiquitous disposable gloves, however. I had to wear a pair at the dentist's recently...
637299074603029314_img_9885_web.jpg

To my knowledge there are no glove specifically made for the dry diving industry, they are co-opted from products for other industries such as chemical handling. The reason the predominant color of dry gloves are blue is because that is the predominant color used by manufacturers of gloves for the industries the gloves were designed for...why they chose blue? Perhaps the common Showa/Atlas gloves were blue was a branding decision, who knows. One can find blue, orange, green, black, and I am sure a host of other colors if one searches enough (or pays enough for a custom color run).

-Z

Most of my dry gloves are orange. Within the showa line the blue ones are triple PVC dipped while the orange ones are double dipped. They also make green, red, and black but they have different textures which arent popular for diving.

The marigold system (pull on rings) uses latex dishwashing gloves with come in a rainbow of colors

As others have said above I've seen and used orange, blue, and black. They aren't all blue. No meaning to the color whatsoever. As @Zef said these gloves aren't made for diving. Showa is one large manufacturer of gloves for MANY uses. We have just co-opted them to use them for drysuit diving.

Showa

I use Showa 3415 and 3416, Black also have 660ESD which are black but the xl is smaller and don’t fit with thicker liners.

I don’t like the blue gloves but for no other reason than the color on my hands for some reason:wink:

I have some bright red ones......but blue is my favorite color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom