Why does it take so long to get a 'Still' from GoPro footage ... ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carpster61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can somebody please help ... ??? Can somebody tell me the difference between GoPro Studio and GoPro Cineform Studio please ... ??? I have got each version on my desktop and it is so frustrating when I load the vid into the wrong one by mistake. I am trying to get still images from my vids. I know how to do it with STUDIO 2, but with CINEFORM STUDIO it seems you can not do it. Even more frustrating that just to get a still image, you have to import the video and get to the editing stage before you can take a still image to export from the vid.
I wanted to take various stills from a 17 minute video of one of my Maldives dives that had already been through GoPro Studio. Had to be uploaded into Studio again and takes half an hour or so before it is converted to be able to get it to the edit stage.
Is there something I am missing...??? Is there some way to get a still from the footage in a few secs ... ??? Thanx ...

Just view it, pause, & do a screen capture. Or use a different editor like Sony Vegas, Pinnacle...etc.

Just view it, pause, & do a screen capture. Or use a different editor like Sony Vegas, Pinnacle...etc.

I would love to but there is no option anywhere in Studio to do screen capture. When I right click the screen nothing happens. I have put my cursor on everything I can find in GoPro Studio window, and nothing anywhere allows me to copy or save or do screen capture. It has option to export obvuiously but that doesn't highlight to use until you get to the editing stage which takes ages. Put the video into it 45 minutes ago and its only on 75% now. Don't understand why the video has to be reconverted again in Studio 2 before you can get a still image. If you can tell me where it gives me an option to do screen capture I would be eternally grateful as I can't find it.

Thanx. :wink:

If you're on a PC, play the gopro mp4 file using WMV, or equivalent, and pause it on the image you want. If you're using windows 7, grab the image using the snipping tool. Otherwise capture the whole screen with...er...either shift PrtScn or control PrtScn...I forget which. If you capture the whole screen you'll need to crop it in a photo editor, if you use the snipping tool you're done.

If you're on an Apple computer someone else will have to describe the procedure, but there must be something equivalent.

Download VLC Media Player. (free) Photos from the video are easy and quick. Under the video drop down, select "take snapshot".

It really baffles me why you can't drag in an already converted video and just start editing immediately. Anybody know why ... ??? To get a still, you have to import it and convert again before it will let you edit, thats what takes so long.

It really baffles me why you can't drag in an already converted video and just start editing immediately. Anybody know why ... ??? To get a still, you have to import it and convert again before it will let you edit, thats what takes so long.

You can simply open the GoPro software then go to step 2 where you can import already converted cineform video files. Step 1 is only for the unconverted but in step 2 you point put in a cineform file and make changes if you like to it or even go back to scratch. I use this feature all the time when grading using this software even after I have added it to my premiere pro sequence, then any changes made in gopro studio will automatically effect my premiere sequence. Its very fast and works great so I use this over my Magic Bullet software 95% of the time for its loss-less metedata adjustments and instant effect with no need to pre render to play smoothly.

If your having issues with more then 1 version id suggest uninstall the older one as cineform studio I think vas pre v2 and since then its been named GoPro studio. You only need the one copy though they wont conflict with eachother there is no need to have an old one installed that may cause some confusion to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom