Why does everyone use two handles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rudeboymcc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a tray and arms for my Olympus Xz-1, and the typical setup seems to be two handles with a ball joint on top.

Why is this? Why can't you hold it with one hand on the camera and one hand on one handle? (then on the right, just have a ball straight on the tray). olympus have gone into so much effort making the housing comfortable to hold (as do nauticam).

I'm thinking this is the setup I'll go for but want to see if there's something I'm missing.

Two handles are useful if you shoot video (with your XZ-1 without disrespect I would not waste time with that) and for wide angle so that the strobes are as aligned as possible compared to the port

If you shoot macro or close ups with one strobe one handle is more than enough unless your rig is super heavy on land (not your case)

I find it better, with two handles, for stability in framing shots. It is very easy to switch hands very fast while multitasking. It also gives you an additional light mounting point.

Some setups like mine have no handles. My tray currently has 2 ball mounts to mount 2 strobes. I grip the camera housing itself and normally only use 1 hand on my camera. But it is a fairly small and light housing and tray and arm system.

This does not work so well if you have a huge housing. 2 hands may be required. You may also have to release your grip in order to operate some controls.

If shooting video, I suggest you use 2 handles spaced as wide apart as possible in order to steady the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom