Why do people spit their regulator out as soon as they surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alv0065

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've been a divemaster for a little while, looking to become my instructor. An instructor I have been studying under says you should keep your regulator in your mouth from the time you go into the water to the time you are up the ladder.

The other day we were taking a group out and the surface was smooth when we went under but super choppy when we surfaced. I kept my reg in, no problem, but most of the other people in the group just immediately took their regs out and were constantly spluttering and spitting out water. We had one relatively novice diver who had removed his reg and it got tangled up behind him and he started panicking from getting whacked by waves. Luckily I was was able to swim over, untangle him, and get the regulator back in his mouth.

Anyways, just because you surface doesn't mean you immediantly take the regulator out!

Yeah, I was "reminded" of this best practice when a wave made me fall off a boat ladder one time. Now I at least put my reg in before climbing the ladder (I'm usually the only diver doing this). Also was a reminder not to stand too close to the ladder when other divers are using it. :)

Because beginners get taught the ridiculous “skill” to jump in with a snorkel and switch on the surface to a reg.

Also, people might not be getting enough gas through the reg - because they keep finning to keep head above water (poor buoyancy, BC not inflated) or because they overinflated the jacket BC, get squeezed and can only breathe shallow.

I disagree with that philosophy of "from the time you go into the water to the time you are up the ladder." That's true up here in the northeast where the sea is always rough, but on nice warm tropical dives I like to wait on the surface on snorkel until the rest of the dive group is descending so as to save air. Either that or wait on the boat to be the last one in.

I kept my reg in, no problem, but most of the other people in the group just immediately took their regs out and were constantly spluttering and spitting out water.
I suspect that as they are surfacing they are looking forward to being able to take in a nice breath of fresh air. But when they get whacked by waves and start "spluttering and spitting out water" they learn there are pros and cons to that, and oftentimes it is best to keep the regulator in one's mouth. I commend you for reinforcing that to them by example.

If the seas are calm upon ascent I will take my reg out while waiting for the boat if a drift dive and chat with other divers. But the reg is always in my hand and returns to my mouth when I head for the boat until I sit down.

I use a longer primary so this also prevents the 2nd stage from wacking the ladder or dragging on the boat deck.

Because beginners get taught the ridiculous “skill” to jump in with a snorkel and switch on the surface to a reg.
i personally have never taught, or even see another diver jump off a boat with only a snorkel in their mouth. but some enter with a reg and then switch to the snorkel.
not many divers even use snorkels anymore. but they certainly can have their place depending on the situation.

It totally depends on the conditions. I surface with reg in mouth, but if it’s calm and the water is warm and I’m floating with buddies, I’ll drop the reg. If conditions are rough or sketchy, reg stays in.

I always keep reg in from when I begin to approach the ladder until I’m all the way back on board, ladder is a really easy time to accidentally take a tumble. In other words - I don’t think this is a one-size fits all situation, there’s room for using your judgment.

I agree with Inquis. A lot of people want to talk before the decent or after the dive while on the surface. Some conditions allow for that easily and others become problematic.

I enter the water with regulator in mouth. Once I resurface after jumping in, I put in my snorkel. I also typically use the snorkel on the surface after the accent. I seem to remember being taught to not waste gas and use the snorkel on the surface if it can be used safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom