Why diving in Israel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear all,

Attached below, please find an article I wrote:

View attachment 214170

Hopefully the divers will be able to do something with the info.

See you under the water,
Gilad
Hi Gilad, thanks for your article, but....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_attacks_on_Eilat_and_Aqaba
and there hasn't been an attack on Hurghada since 1994
I have been diving in the Red Sea for quite some years now, always from Egypt.
The diving from liveaboards is by no means the only way you can dive there. My wife did a lot of shore diving, never with a DM (other than herself being one :) )
I found the DM's on liveaboards in Egypt not different than elsewhere we dove withe liveaboards, like the Andaman Sea, the Maldives, Thailand.
In Egypt I dove from liveaboards quite often whiteout a DM, like we did a night dive on the Thistlegorm by ourselves and many other dives too.
I don't mind people who try to promote a country or diving area, but try to stay a little close to the truth when you try to compare it with another area.
Anyway, I'll be in Egypt again next month.

In link, which you provided it says that some attacks were organized by --Egyptian Bedouins--
It might be no rocket attacks in Hurhhada, but around you can be stopped and murder and it continuously happened.
For local Bedouins it is doesn't matter if you American, Germany or Russian, they exchange tourists to they people from Egypt prisons or for money.
If you plane lands directly to the area - it is ok, if you need to travel in Egypt - not suggested.
If your wife dove without local guide, she violated the Egypt law.
Strange that you didn't compare the life style.....
Even Egypt has much longer coast, there are a lot to see in Eilat also.
2015 June, Diving in Israel, Eilat. - YouTube

@Roman
You mention the Egyptian law. CDWS is the appointed organisation that makes the rules for diving. Not a law. Here is their statement on diving with guides:
http://projectoceanvision.com/articles/red_sea_rules/ratios.pdf
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it doesn't say a guide is obligatory.
Can you give a link that substantiates what you claim?
Grtz
Hans

https://youtu.be/nnSGJQ8G2Zw

Last edited:
Diving in Jordan, Sudan, and Egypt is perfectly fine from a security point of few. I was in Sharm just a couple of weeks ago and earlier in the year as well. There is much unnecessary media hype and nonsense regarding this... and some of the silly State Department warnings and the like from Foreign Ministries of other countries.

Facilities in Jordan and Egypt (especially Dahab and Sharm) are top notch and there are excellent medical facilities that cater specifically to diving. Infrastructure for tourism is highly developed and there are a wide range of comforts to suit every level... from roughing it backpackers style, to eco villages, to high end establishments like the Four Season, Hyatt, etc..

The vast majority of diving in Egypt is largely done on day boats and off of the shore, but of course there are numerous excellent high-end liveaboards for the more remote regions of the Red Sea.

I'm sorry but your article is not very accurate and a little misleading.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2015 at 11:25 AM ----------

In link, which you provided it says that some attacks were organized by --Egyptian Bedouins--
It might be no rocket attacks in Hurhhada, but around you can be stopped and murder and it continuously happened.
For local Bedouins it is doesn't matter if you American, Germany or Russian, they exchange tourists to they people from Egypt prisons or for money.

OH PLEASE!! That can happen to you walking in the street of any major US city or around the world. What about the psychos who walk into movie theaters, shopping malls and Schools n the US and start shooting people at Random ??!! Crime exists everywhere and in every society. The vast majority of local Beduoins are extremely friendly and hospitable to foreigners.

Please do not try to make unfair and generalized statements regarding a group of people or a culture you clearly do not understand.

Thank you for your post Nasser.
I know most people do shore diving and day boats. We used to do that too. But we're kind of lazy and love liveaboards, also it gets you to better spots, or you are at spots at another time than the day boats arrive :)
On the dangers of travelling: it is always hard to judge when you're not actually there and so all kinds of fears seem to emerge. For instance a lot of people in Europe are afraid to go to the USA, because of all the shootings and all the guns the US citizens own.
I have travelled the US for quite a bit and know it's not that bad. :kiss2:

If your wife dove without local guide, she violated the Egypt law.

Do you have something to support that claim.
According to the CDWS, the body that govern diving in Egypt, you can even dive solo, under certain conditions. And that exactly what I have done most of the time on my last 3 liveaboard .

CDWS is the appointed organisation that makes the rules for diving. Not a law.
Yes, you are right it is CDWS rules, not Egypt law.
Can you give a link that substantiates what you claim?
I think I saw this one.
a relaxation of dive guide to guest ratio requirements. For non-marine park liveaboards, one guide to 12 divers is specified, where previously it was one to 10.
Also this one looks like official CDWS site.
Scuba diving activities should be carried out only by MOT licensed operators who are the
members of CDWS under the supervision of CDWS certified dive-guides/instructors.
I am NOT Egypt dive expert.
Topic was about diving in Israel :)

Also this one looks like official CDWS site.

I am NOT Egypt dive expert.
Topic was about diving in Israel :)
On this very website, there's cdws policy regarding solo diving. Hence, the rule regarding diving supervision doesn't mean they ave to be in the water with you.

This is quite important, and on topic, as according to the original poster,
Why diving in Israel:
In general, any diving site that I dove in Egypt- is better than in Israel
and one of his strongest argument in favour of diving in Israel was that you could dive there without a guide, which you couldn't in Egypt.
So this specific argument just doesn't hold.
[That doesn't mean that you shouldn't dive there, if you happen to be in Israel.]

And sorry to say, watching the movie Roman, it's not an advertisement for me to go there as I see mainly sand and dead coral...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom