Why did I wobble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coppergod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for some insight as to what happened recently on last 2 dives.
A couple of weekends ago I had some really good dives in mull on various walls and shipwrecks, but on the last dive I was at 33 metres and my buddy dropped a good few metres below which I was uncomfortable with. I stopped and signaled him to come back up, which he did but I started to feel a bit funny/panic and never usually have this problem and if I do I stop breathe and focus until I can continue. Tried that but it kept getting worse, I just wanted to get out of there, I ascended to more until I was at 15 and felt like I could continue and I finished the dive. I thought maybe just some narcosis and was eager to test myself on next dive as i wanted to make sure I was ok still underwater. Next dive yesterday I was only at 16 metres and was fine then all of a sudden I can’t remember why but just started to get that feeling again and it wouldn’t go away until I stopped and took some deep breaths. I remember thinking I maybe can’t dive anymore what’s wrong with me I need to finish the dive and give it all up. I have over 100 dives and have dealt with a few different scenarios and have never had this before now I fear it will happen again as il be thinking about it too much, like a switch going off when I think about being underwater which I’ve always been comfortable with before. Maybe thinking too much? What’s gotten into me?

I'd suggest posting this in 'dive medicine'. Some very helpful dive docs there could hopefully shed some light on this. The usual suspects, narcosis, hypercapnia, vertigo, can all exhibit with a variety of symptoms, but I'm certainly not qualified to give a medical opinion.

In the meantime, good luck and hope you crack it soon.

Were you swimming hard? A CO2 narc will do that to me.

I'd suggest posting this in 'dive medicine'. Some very helpful dive docs there could hopefully shed some light on this. The usual suspects, narcosis, hypercapnia, vertigo, can all exhibit with a variety of symptoms, but I'm certainly not qualified to give a medical opinion.

In the meantime, good luck and hope you crack it soon.
Thanks for the reply. It’s just strange it’s happened twice in a row. Maybe just need to have a few easy dives until I get confidence back. Never ever had that feeling before it wasn’t nice at all. I remember pulling at my neck seal. I think I just lost it and worry it will be in the back of my mind until I get over it. It was a relatively easy dive as well although there was some swell and viz wasn’t great.

“Easy dive” for YOU. Most of us (that is, on average, worldwide) would consider 33m in low-vis, cold water to be challenging. If you have 100 dives in those conditions, you’re doing great. Don’t flog yourself over a couple of instances of feeling anxiety. I agree with those who suspect CO2 buildup. Take MORE deep, slow breaths, and just slow down in general, and see if that helps. Some of it may be psychological, too. Confidence is key. You’re a good diver as divers go—100 dives in those conditions. Don’t push yourself too hard to expand your comfort zone. What is now a comfort zone for you is way beyond what’s a comfort zone for much of the world.

“Easy dive” for YOU. Most of us (that is, on average, worldwide) would consider 33m in low-vis, cold water to be challenging. If you have 100 dives in those conditions, you’re doing great. Don’t flog yourself over a couple of instances of feeling anxiety. I agree with those who suspect CO2 buildup. Take MORE deep, slow breaths, and just slow down in general, and see if that helps. Some of it may be psychological, too. Confidence is key. You’re a good diver as divers go—100 dives in those conditions. Don’t push yourself too hard to expand your comfort zone. What is now a comfort zone for you is way beyond what’s a comfort zone for much of the world.
Thanks for your reply. Maybe a combination of factors, maybe it was more challenging than I thought. 12 degrees, 4m viz, some swell and late in the evening. I don’t remember feeling the dive was troubling me though it just came on all of a sudden, just maybe a reminder of how every dive is different And to remember not to take it all for granted. We are merely visitors to that world. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I have decided it was a few factors , pre dive apprehension coupled with co2 build up, and a tight neck seal compounding matters.

Can also depend on things like how well you didn't sleep the night before and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom