Why buckle on right side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segraves1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What's the mentality behind having the buckle come across to the right side (on the longer strap) and clamp onto the shorter piece? As I see it this means the crotch strap has to go "over" the buckle which not only makes the system harder to put on but also harder to drop off if so required.

Please educate me :)

crotchstrap_large.jpg

Keeps the canister in place, rather than adding another buckle as a keeper. Also keeps the buckle over to the side, and not at the lowest point of your body(to catch lines, etc).

Keeps the canister in place, rather than adding another buckle as a keeper. Also keeps the buckle over to the side, and not at the lowest point of your body(to catch lines, etc).

You know, I've never thought of that. I have a second ss buckle as a keeper. Maybe I'll move the primary buckle over...

It is much easier to use a dedicated buckle for the light canister -- that way you can gear up and put the canister in place and not have to worry about it falling off while you're gearing up.

What's the mentality behind having the buckle come across to the right side (on the longer strap) and clamp onto the shorter piece? As I see it this means the crotch strap has to go "over" the buckle which not only makes the system harder to put on but also harder to drop off if so required.
It takes two seconds to thread the buckle through the loop in the crotch strap, and it won't easily come undone (i.e. you'd want it to come undone to make it happen). I think it adds all of two seconds to donning and one second to doffing.

generally having your gear coming apart is something that you don't want to optimize for. the vast majority of time you want to optimize for it staying together.

Also...you don't want your buckle in the middle where it can get caught on the crotch strap and possibly become undone. And you don't want the buckle on the left side as there are other things going on there (d-ring, suit inflation hose, spg) that it can interfere with or that can interfere with it.

Also, if the buckle is on the right side, then you can tuck the excess webbing into the crotch strap, and keep it from flopping around. If it was on the left side, then any extra webbing might interfere with your D-ring (as Brian said).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom