Why aren't fins for a frog kicker canted 10 degrees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishWatcher747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If this has been discussed already my apologies. I searched for the word canted and found nothing on fins.

So I'm at the pool today doing laps frog kicking with a snorkel and I'm thinking I would have more power if the big toe side of the fin was raised 10 or 15 degrees higher than the lateral side of the foot. There would be a similar benefit for back finning. Now one can compensate for this bad design by working on flexibility of the ankles but why not maximize the design?

There should be a left fin and a right fin.

They wouldn't be a benefit to flutter kick, I see why a flat fin is correct for flutter kick.

I have dove with a bunch of instructors and DMs by now and a lot of them only do the frog kick. So why would they not have canted fins?

If this has been discussed already my apologies. I searched for the word canted and found nothing on fins.

So I'm at the pool today doing laps frog kicking with a snorkel and I'm thinking I would have more power if the big toe side of the fin was raised 10 or 15 degrees higher than the lateral side of the foot. There would be a similar benefit for back finning. Now one can compensate for this bad design by working on flexibility of the ankles but why not maximize the design?

They wouldn't be a benefit to flutter kick, I see why a flat fin is correct for flutter kick.

I have dove with a bunch of instructors and DMs by now and a lot of them only do the frog kick. So why would they not have canted fins?
Would this not cause some of the thrust to be directed downward...toward the sand and silt you often trying to a avoid kicking up with a frog kick?

The cheapest Chinese Flip flops (or canvas shoes) have a left and a right, yet scuba manufacturers sell fins for $300, with no left or right side and people claim they are comfortable! LOL. To make matters even more ridiculous.. just try to buy one fin from a manufacturer or dive shop.. Very few will sell a single fin - they don't want to break up "a pair".

There are very few fins that are left and right.

So I'm at the pool today doing laps frog kicking with a snorkel and I'm thinking I would have more power if the big toe side of the fin was raised 10 or 15 degrees higher than the lateral side of the foot. They wouldn't be a benefit to flutter kick, I see why a flat fin is correct for flutter kick.

Do you do all your diving and snorkeling in a pool? :D:D

To make matters even more ridiculous.. just try to buy one fin from a manufacturer or dive shop.. Very few will sell a single fin - they don't want to break up "a pair".

Would you have a place you can buy just one shoe? How about a glove? Or maybe one sock? :D:D:D

We humans are limited from doing a true frog kick by our bone structure. The fins could be modded to better mimic nature assuming it doesn’t over compromise the flutter kick.

I think he means to help rotate them inward.
I don't understand, the geometry, I guess. Seems to me having the big-toe side higher than the outside would make the rotation more difficult, not less.

I don't understand, the geometry, I guess. Seems to me having the big-toe side higher than the outside would make the rotation more difficult, not less.

I had much the same the same thought, but I'm thinking this is a matter of reference. I believe that the OP may be referencing the orientation when sitting/standing not in horizontal trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom