Why are jacket style BCD's the most common??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been wondering why jacket style is by far the most common. I understand that dive shops carry them more sell more of them etc. Shops carry them because they are the common/popular.

What I'm trying to understand is why are the jackets the most common, how did they become the most common

It is a low friction sale/option. If you want it to:
- hug you,
- look like a big puffy vest,
- float you chest out like in a chair,
you need one. So the shop gets a sale on it, a reg set, and follow on classes or trips.

If you want:
- more/fewer D rings,
- more/fewer pockets,
- a different type pocket,
- more/less lift,
- your smaller daughter/son to use it,
you have to buy a new one. So (some) shop gets another sale.

I think the first few hit the high points of prior discussions.

Explaining that a back inflate may be sleeker in the water may not be successful and may confuse them. Nor may explaining that a modular unit (BP/W) gives them more room to shift their mind later on details, and naturally helps their trim.

Reactions: Doc
What has been said in the previous threads on this that the others are dreading re-hashing is that dive gear with lots of brand-exclusive features is more profitable than dive gear that’s simple and generic. So while you could observe that shops carry the fancy jacket BCs because they are popular, you could also take the position that they are popular because shops carry them; the supply seems to drive the demand.

Hmmm... my 2BAR

In a stagnant market, they act as a high-margin platform for manufacturers to offer a host of innovative features new divers 'think they need' like excessive padding, complex integrated QD weight pockets, black chrome tech-look D rings and Safe Second Inflators (SSI) :wink:

Another way to look at it is that “new and improved” is a selling point. Products evolve as manufacturers make supposed improvements, hoping that it boosts demand. The backplate and horse collar BC evolved into the modern jacket. Stripping a product of features is not a good strategy for persuading consumers to buy yours rather than your competitor’s. There is a market for “minimalist” or basic products, but it will always remain a niche.

Another way to look at it is that “new and improved” is a selling point. Products evolve as manufacturers make supposed improvements, hoping that it boosts demand. The backplate and horse collar BC evolved into the modern jacket. Stripping a product of features is not a good strategy for persuading consumers to buy yours rather than your competitor’s. There is a market for “minimalist” or basic products, but it will always remain a niche.
For some reason, I thought of this:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom