Whole bunch of questions from a Noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGil

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
I have a fewquestions that I hope the kind folks on this board can help me out with, as I'mabout to purchase my first GoPro for my trip next month to the Turks and Caicos.

Looking at the GoProsite the dive bundle looks really decent but before I take the plunge here aremy concerns:

1. The Dive Bundle includes the GoPro housing that is rated to 60m. Is this a wise choice or are there other housing manufactures I should be looking at? Also will this housing be able to accommodate a battery pack or a the LCD BacPac?
  2. Do I simply get extra batteries or should I go for the battery pack?
  3. The Dive Bundle includes a 1 arm grip. Will this be too "shaky"? Should I be looking at a 2 arm tray? What about the longer poles? I have seen a whole bunch of those but they look as if they are all over the place…..
  4. I was planning on getting the Backscatter Flip 3.1. Does this negate the need for a light? I am planning of not purchasing a light right now since I want to see how I get along with it. Is this a wise move or should I spend the extra few hundred dollars and get a light?
  5. Does anyone on the board have experience with using a GoPro and Linux?

Anything I missedfor a first time GoPro noob?

Many thanks inadvance for all your help.

Gil

I'm not an expert but here are my thoughts.

1. I don't know much about the dive housing so can't really speak to this. I have the standard housing and routinely take it to 100'. I'm not sure I see the need for the dive housing for recreational diving.
2. Idk if the battery pack fits but I would carry a few extra batteries as good measure.
3. I think two arms will be more stable than one or a pole.
4. The Backscatter is a very good product. Even if you have lights they are only for close up. You will either need filters or do a lot of postprocessing. A few hundred dollars will get you a low end light, you're looking at a grand or more for the better lights.
5. Not me.

Let's start with the most obvious question... Which camera do you intend to get?

Hello,
I have a fewquestions that I hope the kind folks on this board can help me out with, as I'mabout to purchase my first GoPro for my trip next month to the Turks and Caicos.

Looking at the GoProsite the dive bundle looks really decent but before I take the plunge here aremy concerns:

1. The Dive Bundle includes the GoPro housing that is rated to 60m. Is this a wise choice or are there other housing manufactures I should be looking at? Also will this housing be able to accommodate a battery pack or a the LCD BacPac?
  3. The Dive Bundle includes a 1 arm grip. Will this be too "shaky"? Should I be looking at a 2 arm tray? What about the longer poles? I have seen a whole bunch of those but they look as if they are all over the place…..
  4. I was planning on getting the Backscatter Flip 3.1. Does this negate the need for a light? I am planning of not purchasing a light right now since I want to see how I get along with it. Is this a wise move or should I spend the extra few hundred dollars and get a light?

Gil

60 m housing works fine for me. I have had mine to 100 feet mol in Alaska. No problems whatsoever.
When I got my go pro lcd, it came with a dive housing backplate to fit the deeper size.
I have a 1 arm grip and flex arm for my light. 1-arm grip works well for me.
I tried the light and motion sidekick light (inexpensive, good for close up shots) this weekend and liked it. Lights seem to be coming out everyday for the gopro.

Hello,

Gil

I just want to point out some good points about the camera pole that you might consider when making your decision.

There many who have learned to film quite well using the camera pole and love its ability to capture selfies and have the ability to extend and reach into crevices or holes to film there subjects. The Z Gear mono pole light mount and the professional mono pole light mount was made to hold one video light while simultaneously gives you a stabilizing handle on which to steady your shot. By using two hands, one on the handle and one on the end you can have a more control and stability. You can also use one hand on the handle and the other end in your shoulder pocket to do this as well. Both will also relieve strain on wrist from holding the pole with one hand which in turn can also lead to fatigue and shaky filming.

Here is a short clip of this product.

[video=youtube;iyrKY0Xh5D4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrKY0Xh5D4[/video]

Here is a short clip shot with Go Pro, one Archon II video light, light mount and camera pole . One lights up the area pretty well at depth of 60 feet.

[video=youtube;9tfr209YKHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tfr209YKHg[/video]

This light mount and the ability of using it as a stabilizing handle is a new concept that are am presenting to you and give camera pole users new way that they can use their camera poles.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

One thing that is nice about the dive housing is it has a safety latch to keep from bumping the latch open underwater. The whole dive housing is a little larger with a larger port on it so that makes a diffrence if you decide to go the filter route. Also if you go with the black it wont be an issue for you but my silver has the lcd screen on the back which requires a special order door from go pro so if you decide to down grade to the silver you may have to ask for the free special order door for the LCD the dive housing comes with a LCDbackpack door and the door for the Hero 4 black but you have to ask for the hero 4 silver door.

Back
Top Bottom