Who manufactures E/O Cords?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buck58

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking for the manufacture of E/O Cords like the ones sold by DR, Sartek, Halcyon, Salvo, etc.

Buck58

used to be:

Electro/Oceanic
15146 Downey Ave.
Paramount, CA 9072

If you can track them down ... let us know.

Those connectors suck. (unless you like hitting them with hammers to fix them)

Impulse connectors are much nicer.

Those connectors suck. (unless you like hitting them with hammers to fix them)

Impulse connectors are much nicer.
If these are the connectors you are talking about, I'd have to agree:

14302988.CanisterandLightHeadDetached.jpg

that is a rather inexpensive and unreliable connector, not at all what I'd use or recommend. Here's the bulkhead connector that I use:

487151.jpg

Put one on the can and one on the lamp (you could carry an extra lamp if you wanted). Here's the connecting cable, have a cable made up with one at each end:

EQEOM.jpg

Note: If you try and buy them from photo stores or anything with the word "diving" in it they are very expensive, more than $100 apiece, if you buy them from Electro Oceanic they are on the order of $30 each. These connectors are dependable enough for use on manned deep submersibles.

I used these connectors on all my cameras, strobes and lights during saturation missions, they worked flawlessly. I did have one cable failure, but that was solved (as per plan) by unplugging it at both ends, reaching into my pocket, pulling out a new cable and plugging it in.

E.O. seems to be long gone, but is now Marshall Underwater Link available from:

Ocean Innovations
La Jolla, California
http://www.o-vations.com/
Phone: (858) 454-4044
Fax; (858) 454-5775
Email brock@o-vations.com

Last edited:
If these are the connectors you are talking about, I'd have to agree:

14302988.CanisterandLightHeadDetached.jpg
Yep. Those are the sucky ones.

that is a rather inexpensive and unreliable connector, not at all what I'd use or recommend. Here's the bulkhead connector that I use:

487151.jpg

Put one on the can and one on the lamp (you could carry an extra lamp if you wanted). Here's the connecting cable, have a cable made up with one at each end:

EQEOM.jpg

Note: If you try and buy them from photo stores or anything with the word "diving" in it they are very expensive, more than $100 apiece, if you buy them from Electro Oceanic they are on the order of $30 each. These connectors are dependable enough for use on manned deep submersibles.

I used these connectors on all my cameras, strobes and lights during saturation missions, they worked flawlessly. I did have one cable failure, but that was solved (as per plan) by unplugging it at both ends, reaching into my pocket, pulling out a new cable and plugging it in.

E.O. seems to be long gone, but is now Marshall Underwater Link available from:

Ocean Innovations
La Jolla, California
http://www.o-vations.com/
Phone: (858) 454-4044
Fax; (858) 454-5775
Email brock@o-vations.com

Those look exactly like the Impulse Connectors I use.

Underwater Pluggable

I have used thousands of the original EO connectors when they still had patent protection. One of the electronics techs I worked for on the Trieste II did a dry cyclic test and the reliability increased around 10:1 with frequent greasing. As soon as he explained that you could just poke the pins in a tube of grease instead of trying to smear it with your finger, everybody started greasing before every mate. We duct taped tubes to our wetsuit sleeves when she was in the water.

There aren't many options for pressure balanced, explosion proof, and underwater mateable connectors. The big thing to be careful of is to make sure multi-pin/multi-contact connectors aren't wired so hot leads can swipe data leads and burn out electronics. We kept burning out some pan and tilt units for TV cameras until somebody figured out that it only happened when the connectors were mated or unmated hot. Everyone was careful not to swap plugs hot in the water, but didn't give it a thought when it was on deck or the bench.

Back
Top Bottom