Who makes the best fin strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
What's the best fin strap you've seen or used? I always have a hard time getting my fins on and taking them off, partly because I wear 7mm gloves, and partly because many fin straps are a pain in the neck to use.

I just tried Atomic split-fins, and they have a nice system where you push the whole buckle assembly onto the post, rather than it separating into two parts. It was nice and easy to use, although I still had a little trouble squeezing the release to take them off when I had my gloves on.

But even with standard fin-straps, I've noticed big differences among brands. For example, I have a pair of Aeris Velocities, and their fin strap is just OK to connect/disconnect, but what's nice about them is how easy it is to adjust their tension. That is, it's not too difficult to press the button in that allows loosening of the strap. However, the pin has popped out a couple of times when I tried to cinch the strap down hard. In comparison, after I lost one of the Velocity straps, I replaced it with an AquaLung spare strap from my LDS. It works exactly the same, but is MUCH harder to clip/unclip the buckle, and nearly impossible to loosen the straps with gloves on. I hate it. On the other hand, the pin has never popped out of it.

OK, I realize that this is a really long post for a subject as mundane as fin straps, but in SCUBA, there's enough to deal with gear-wise without having to fight with my fins every time I get in the water.

So I'm looking for other divers' experiences with fin straps, so I can find the best ones, buy them, and not have to worry about it anymore. Please let me know what brands/styles you like/dislike!

Thanks,
otter-cat

Yeah pug, their purdy. About fin straps I use force fins and they have a bungee strap with a piece of material in the back for you to grab (that doesn't make any sense does it, o well) The bungee straps are really easy to use because you just pull them on and they are tight, if i was going to use any other fins besides the force fins I would definitely look into some of the aftermarket spring straps such as those made by halcyon (same deal as Uncle Pug is using.) They look like they would provide the same ease of use and would be alot more reliable then any plastic buckle.

UP stole my fins!!!!!

As for the best fin strap, UP posted them. They will not break, and compensate for suit compression at depth.

Those Force Fin ones look like an entanglement hazard to me.

Another pre-fab spring strap for those so inclined:

SStrap1.jpg

Manta Industries

They work well and were cheaper and easier to find than Halcyon.

Steven

I love the system on the scubapro twin jet fins. It consists of buckles on either side that can be put in from a variety of angles. Also, the strap will easily tighten, but you need to push a button to loosen them. For a boat dive, I can just undo them and put the strap on. For a shore dive, where I can't see/feel the buckle so well, I just make them huge, put them on, and yank on the strap until it tightens sufficiently.

None of that probably made any sense. A picture is worth a thousand words...

http://www.scubapro.com/consumer/pr...fins/twinjetadjustable/twinjetadjustable.html

I personally have converted my fins to use bungee cords as straps. On any fins that use a fastex type buckle arrangement thread the bungee through the opening that you clip the strap into, run it down through the lower clip hole, around the outside and back down to come out the lower hole again then tie an overhand knot in it or use zip-ties to secure the bitter end to the loop running around the female buckle. It will be a tight squeeze to get the bungee through the lower hole the second time and I highly recommend using duct tape on the end of the bungee where you have cut off the hook to keep the ends from fraying. On fins where the buckles clip to a post it is even easier...just loop the bungee around the post and secure with zip ties.

This may not be as elegant as the spring steel straps ands you will need to change the bungees out once or twice a year but it is an economical solution and works great. I know several intructors and cave divers who use this setup and have never had a problem with it.

Originally posted by otter-cat
......you push the whole buckle assembly onto the post, rather than it separating into two parts. It was nice and easy to use, although I still had a little trouble squeezing the release...OK to connect/disconnect...press the button in that allows loosening of the strap. ....clip/unclip the buckle....loosen the straps with gloves on. otter-cat
A little advice I was given from mudguppy. Don't undo the buckle. Make sure the strap is down below the heel of the fin. Put your foot in. Pull the strap up over your heel by pulling on the tab thing. Tighten the strap a little bit if necessary. When your done diving, pull the tab down so that the strap is below your heel again. Don't mess with the buckles. It works for me but then my gloves are only 3mil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom