Who makes Shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVEWATCHDOCTOR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can anybody please inform me who makes Shearwater computers? I am familiar with the few recreational computer manufacturers (Pelagic, Suunto, Uwatec, etc) but, not being a technical diver, don't have a clue about the Shearwater. Thanks.

Shearwater Research Inc. makes their own.
From their About page: "All Shearwater products are designed and manufactured in Vancouver Canada in our ISO 9001-2008 compliant facility"
https://www.shearwater.com/

Great company you can actually get a response to questions and concerns great service.

Here's an example of Shearwater service.

Marci and I bought Predators in 2009 and they were both OC and CC unlocked at that time. In 2012 my Predator started going through batteries in very short order, I called Shearwater and they had me send it in. They installed a new board and shipped it back to me in about a week. All it cost me was the shipping to Shearwater.

This week I contacted Shearwater as we are now going to CCR rebreathers and the CC function will be handy, but I noted it was not unlocked. I called Curt - the US rep for Shearwater - and explained that it was returned in 2012 and received a new board and was apparently not sent back CC unlocked at that time. He had me e-mail the details and serial number of the unit so he could verify the status and repair, and within 6 hours I had the unlock code back from Shearwater at no charge.

In contrast I've had issues with my Scubapro Luna over the years and they have all involved complicated interactions between dealers, reps and the Scubapro service folks that seem to hinge on the assumption that the customer is trying to pull one over on Scubapro and/or that it's not Scubapro's fault or responsibility. The couple times I've gotten unlock codes for it, it's been a complex process where actually installing the code and getting it to run has been problematic.

Shearwater is an awesome company. I own two petrels that have never had a problem yet - and judging from the responses on this forum I either never will or when it does happen it'll be fixed promptly. I'm not even going to knock on wood. Their products and service are second to none.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom