Who has been to St. Lucia??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been there twice. I never bothered diving there since it's a little too tame and regulated for me, but in all fairness, I've been all over the world diving so I'm a little jaded now. Also, Anse Chastenet as a resort was too crowded for me - I like smaller places. I avoid those those big all-inclusives like Sandals and Beaches like the plague, but again, this is my own preference - others on this board love them to no end.
One of my all-time favorite places in the world is Ladera, located at 1,000' between Gros and Petit Pitons in Soufriere. Each room has only 3 walls and it's own splash pool.
www.ladera.com
There's way too much to do topside. The local verson of French Creole there is indecipherable to me - and I speak French. The northern end of the island has the tourist haunts - there's even a huge Chinese consulate right at the tip. There is an abundance of great places to eat all over the island, although some of the smaller seaside villages get a little too rustic.
We rode horses into the volcano which was a lot more fun than just taking a tour bus there.
Driving gets interesting, especially in downtown Castries on market day.

1fastcat:
I spent two weeks in St. Lucia over the New Years holiday. As far as diving locations/ops, Marigot Bay is a great location. I dove 6 dives with Dive Fair Helen (located in Marigot Bay). Owner Andre is a marine researcher and runs a top flight ops. Also, you are only a 10 minute boat ride to the best southern diving locations.
All in all, we had a great relaxing time in St. Lucia. Once again, I cannot say enough good things about Dive Fair Helen.
That's good news. We dove with Andre many years ago - only our second diving holiday - I think he had been running the business for about 2 or so years then. We had a good time - and a learning experience. Diving near the Pitons - supposed to be a reserve. Looked up and saw a line of floats about a metre below the surface - hadn't noticed the net. Made me realise how "invisible" they are under water. Andre had spotted it of course.

laserdoc:
We are staying at the cottages in Marigot Bay. Can you get a water taxi from the airport to the Bay??
What did the tall ship cost you guys?
Which airport are you talking about? Charles in Castries isn't that far from Marigot and Hewanorra in the north is a little too far for a water taxi and a hellacious taxi blast.
If you have the scratch, take the helicopter - nice and fast.
You're not going to rent a car?

Tom Winters:
Which airport are you talking about? Charles in Castries isn't that far from Marigot and Hewanorra in the north is a little too far for a water taxi and a hellacious taxi blast.
If you have the scratch, take the helicopter - nice and fast.
You're not going to rent a car?
Helicopter I'm sure is a little much. We are flying into the airport on the south end I think,,,,down past the pitons. I was told a water taxi would be a little far for them. The resort said to take a cab. Was planing on renting a car for at least 2 days to see the island

The cab ride is equal to about 1 day's car rental, but if that's your first trip tehre, take the cab. Driving is on the left side of the road, but since you're from Atlanta and have probably survived that I85/75 interchange, you should have no trouble in St. Lucia.
Stop by Ladera in Soufriere for a drink - awesome resort and unreal views.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom