Who carries dive accident evacuation insurance?

Do you carry a Dive Accident evacuation insurance policy?

• Yes (DAN, DiveAssure, etc.)

Votes: 90 97.8%
  • No, I'm rolling the dice.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • No, I'm willing to pay my primary health carrier's deductible.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No, I'm covered under my DM/Instructor liability insurance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm covered under the Instructor's/DM's/Boat's general liability policy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't know about the Dive Safe. But no matter. I've been a DAN member for going on ten years with their highest level plan. See no reason to switch. And I bet the others don't have anywhere near as cool of a magazine that comes with membership. :wink:

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 05:15 PM ----------

And just to add this little tidbit. I sign all my OW students up for DAN through the free plan they have. And they are given DAN pamphlets. And it's going into my learning agreement for con-ed students that they must have some level of DAN insurance for training (or equivalent).

I don't really understand why someone doesn't have dive insurance, it just isn't that expensive. I don't know about all the "brands" available but I have had DAN's Preferred plan for years and their plans are
$30.00 per year ($2.50 per month)
$40.00 per year ($3.34 per month)
$75.00 per year ($6.25 per month)
You are talking less than the price of one fill per month, what a deal.

Reactions: D_B
I am not quite sure what to check here... In Norway, I don't need any insurance, as any accident (evac, treatment, follow-up) is free.
My year-round travel insurance as about $200, and covers unlimited cost for illness/accidents/medevac for any diving-related incident within recreational limits. (I.e. 39meters if certified... ) They will also cover you if the accident accidentaly gets you below 39m. They will not cover technical diving though, so in the event that I would be doing any technical diving outside of Norway, I would get the appropriate DAN insurance.

I am not quite sure what to check here... In Norway, I don't need any insurance, as any accident (evac, treatment, follow-up) is free.
My year-round travel insurance as about $200, and covers unlimited cost for illness/accidents/medevac for any diving-related incident within recreational limits. (I.e. 39meters if certified... ) They will also cover you if the accident accidentaly gets you below 39m. They will not cover technical diving though, so in the event that I would be doing any technical diving outside of Norway, I would get the appropriate DAN insurance.

Sounds like you have a health care plan that covers your diving accidents for the type of diving you do. I'd call that a yes.

I carry top of the line DAN coverage. The cost of it makes it hard not to. With what I pay in liability policies for two businesses, DAN is a drop in the bucket!! And on that note, just got an insurance update from one of my customers, they are now requiring $5 million per occurrence liability along with $2 million auto!! Can't wait to see what that will cost!!!:confused:

I'm not sure what my DAN coverage is, but if I'm in Australia I'm covered under health insurance and if I'm out of Australia I'm covered under travel insurance. My understanding (this could well be wrong) is that my travel/primary health insurance gets me to the door of the hyperbaric ward and then DAN takes over.

I'm a strong believer that if you can't afford travel or dive insurance then you can't afford to be doing either.

Same with me and the added bonus is that due to the fact that my travel insurance makes me a full program customer with my insurance company, having it actually SAVES me money on the insurance total - in effect i get paid to have travel insurance that cover my dive travels. YAY! :D

As far as the healthcare plan that basically cover all our medical, thats only valid as long as were in Norway, it doesnt cover out of country medical/transport/repatriation - which is why the insurance is very handy..

Last edited:
Do you carry some kind of dive accident insurance (DAN, DiveAssure, etc.)?
We require dive accident insurance on all of our trips!

I am military, and my butt is covered under Tricare for these things, I do however have DAN as well , mostly to cover my gear.

Back
Top Bottom