Who can do a custom cut suit better: DUI or Santi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
Currently considering the DUI FLX Extreme or a Santi E-lite. The suit will be a made to measure as no stock sizes in either brand will fit me. Given this, who tends to get the custom fit right - DUI or Santi? (Not asking about quality of suit - I've already read all the posts and have seen both in person. Most concerned about getting a very good custom cut with the sizing perfect).

Both *can* be good, it would seem that DUI does it better more often.

I heard DUI is better at getting a closer fit. But the guys I know who have DUI suits are always complaining of leaking suits. FYI.

in theory, they should both be good - however, if they need to make an alteration or a repair, you might want to re-think about cost and time to have the work done

I know a lot of people with custom Santi suits who have been happy with the fit, and one who was not. I do think it makes a huge difference who does the measurements, and how much experience they have with doing it.

My husband and I both have custom Santis, and prior to getting mine, I had sworn I would never own another custom suit. We're both very happy.

I had both, but I strongly believe the SANTI to be a superior dry suit.

When you get measured, have them done more than once to confirm.

FYI, Halcyon is now promoting SANTI and no longer DUI, if that means anything to you.

Currently considering the DUI FLX Extreme or a Santi E-lite. The suit will be a made to measure as no stock sizes in either brand will fit me. Given this, who tends to get the custom fit right - DUI or Santi? (Not asking about quality of suit - I've already read all the posts and have seen both in person. Most concerned about getting a very good custom cut with the sizing perfect).

FYI - Although people use the terms interchangeably the fact is that "Custom cut" and "Made to Measure" typically mean two different things. Make sure you know which you mean and understand what a manufacturer might mean. (They aren't clear with the terms either.)

Custom cut/made = suit is patterned after your specific/unique measurements and each piece of the suit - and thus the entire suit - is made specifically to fit you and you alone across every measurement.

Made to measure = suit is composed of standard size components that are then assembled (with some minor modifications possible) into a suit that fits you better than a standard (eg "XL") sized suit. Essentially different sized "off the rack parts" combined into a single suit. So perhaps legs from a standard "Large-tall" suit are assembled with a "Large-short" torso and "Large-regular" arms that are shortened just a little to end up with a suit that better accommodates someone with long legs, a short torso, and fairly normal arms compared to an off the rack suit. However the arms may be a bit tight and the waist a bit large if you have an athletic "v-cut" body type... and the legs might be slightly loose if you're like most "v-cut" guys who ignore their legs in the gym. But I digress...

I got a custom DUI FLX Extreme and the sleeves were cut much too long. It took two returns and finally it's right. Just one experience for what it's worth. It's really frustrating to get a custom suit that does not fit right and a hassle to send it back.

By they way I would recommend doing what I did: get measured three times (in my case by three different people) so you can make sure the measurements are not out of whack. Even then there are other sources of error: transcribing the numbers, the algorithm to go from numbers to pattern, and accuracy in cutting the pattern.

Also I found the DUI rock boots fit big, so I had to get one size smaller than street shoes.

Last edited:
I can only speak for my experience with ordering custom (really MTM) from Santi. Since there wasn't a dealer anywhere near where I live, I had to have my partner do the measuring. The suit fit poorly at first, but Santi made changes to get it to a state where I'm satisfied. The biggest downside was the turnaround since it had to go all the way to Poland. I want to say it took about 2 months. I also was annoyed by the game of telephone between me, the dealer, the distributor and manufacturer regarding any communications on the adjustments to the suit. I imagine it would have been easier talking to DUI in San Diego instead.

If I had to make the decision again, I'd still go with Santi but just order an off the rack size. The loaner suit they gave me while mine was being fixed fit almost as well as the MTM but in different ways. I feel the quality of the Santi suit wrt to details like pocket design and boots is better and I also was really turned off by DUI's nickel and diming pricing for suit components that should be standard like pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom