Whitsundays diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandpipa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi again folks,

I'm hoping to spend two or three days sailing in the Whitsundays in April as part of my Big Trip to Australia.

Please could anyone recommend a decent liveaboard that is good for diving as well as sightseeing?

A friend recommended either the Solway Lass or Whitsunday Magic, but while these look attractive are they big and overpriced, and do they really cater well for divers?

I'm really in the dark here, would really appreciate any help.

Many thanks,

Sandpipa.

By the way... To avoid confusion, I'm looking for a boat that allows for dives at decent sites in the islands themselves, rather than on the outer reef, which I hope to dive separately.

Many thanks!!

PS - I've looked at the Magic Miles website suggested on an earlier thread, but the info's still pretty hard to decipher, so I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience of boats?

Many thanks again,

Sandpipa.

With your diving with SOF or Mikeball maybe leave the whitsundays for above water enjoyment. Dive sites will be nowhere near as good. Somewhere else you might want to try is Lady Elliot Island. Southern barrier reef.

Thanks, MA. Perhaps you're right, but living in the murky UK I don't get chance to dive in warm water too often, lol, so I thought it might be good to squeeze a couple more in!

I thought some parts of the islands were actually pretty good? Guess I'd have to pick an operator carefully?

Many thanks,

Sandpipa.

hi sandpipa
i just spent a couple of days in the whitsundays on my own boat and have been there a few times before. The island fringing reefs around the top of hook island, blue pearl bay at Haymen island & around the top end of border island i have found to be ok, normaly 4-8 me vis. I dived hook island in a northerly off shore wind a couple of days ago and it was 3-5me vis. Marine life is normaly quite good its mainly poor vis compared with the outer reefs which detracts from the diving . Sailing around with the odd dive is very nice rather than focusing on diving.Have a great holiday. cheers rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom