Whites Fusion boots compared to Evo3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gasgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found the Evo boot sizing fairly confusing and was advised to size up to accomodate the MK3 sock and drysuit material so I ended up with a size 7 EVO (I am a Women's size 6).

Unfortunately, my left foot is slightly smaller than my right foot and the heel just doesn't lock into place no matter how much I cinch up the laces so that it feels like I don't have the same control of my fin on my left foot as compared with my right foot.

I do not find any lack of ankle mobility with the Evo boot but I am thinking that the boot last is just too wide for my foot shape.

So I am just in the process of ordering the Fusion boot with the velcro strap around the ankle and seeing if that will feel like I have a better ankle fit on my left foot.

I am wondering if those who have had direct experience with both Fusion and Evo boot styles can comment if they think this will help with my issue.

Also, I am thinking I should order a size 6 Fusion instead of size 7 and I am concerned this may pose a compatability issue with my Hollis F1 Regular fins which are supposed to fit size 7-9. (And yes, I have already adjusted the spring straps to the tightest position)

Thanks in advance to all the SB members who take the time to answer these questions - it really does help tremendously!

Dumb question, but did you try a thicker sock? With my EVOs, I'm a 10.5 but take a 12 in the EVO3 as the 11 is just too small. The 12 is right on the verge of being too big, but with REI mountaineering socks (really thick) and wool liners, they are about right. One the other hand, with shore diving here in Puget Sound, I'm not sure I'd trade my EVO's for the Fusion boots!

RVBldr,

Your experience is very similar to mine in that I also shore dive in PNW so I was advised that the slightly larger Evo boot was the better option.

My LDS does not keep the EVO of Fusion boots in stock to try on for size so I will have to order the size 6 and hope I can still stuff the extra material in the toe.

Currently, I have ample toe room left for the MK3 sock which is quite thick and keeps my feet nice and warm.

I suppose I can try another wool layer underneath the MK3 but I am worried about less ankle mobility with more layers.

Has anyone had experience with both the Evo boot and the attached Fusion boot? How do they compare in the ankle fit? Will the velcro ankle strap help me feel like my heel is more locked in place?

Hey gasgirl...sorry to hear the EVO III's are working out. I love, love, love mine. Can you tell I love my EVO III's??? :D I am normally a size 11 and tried a pair of 13's and they fit real nice with a pair of regular socks and a pair of thick wool socks. I am going to get a pair of the Mark 3 socks as well. My LDS owner threw a pair at me to try on and I really liked how they felt. Good luck with your boot situation, hopefully the Fusions will work well for you.

The EVO boots are beautiful and very well made, but the last is a man's, I think. They are wide in the heel, and I could not wear them myself because they felt as though they were going to come off. The Bare boots that are made similarly are made on a different last, and are narrower in the heel.

I can't comment on the Fusion boots except to say that I dealt with them with a student a couple of weeks ago, and didn't like what I saw. But I have never dived them.

Hey gasgirl...sorry to hear the EVO III's are working out. I love, love, love mine. Can you tell I love my EVO III's??? :D I am normally a size 11 and tried a pair of 13's and they fit real nice with a pair of regular socks and a pair of thick wool socks. I am going to get a pair of the Mark 3 socks as well. My LDS owner threw a pair at me to try on and I really liked how they felt. Good luck with your boot situation, hopefully the Fusions will work well for you.

Hooray! So I have found a solution to the Evo3's by putting my custom orthotics (which has a high riigid heel cup) into my Fusion sock. The orthotic has always been a challenge to use as it takes up too much room and causes extra wear and tear on my heel counter of my running shoes... it feels perfect in the Evo boots : )

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 11:45 AM ----------

The EVO boots are beautiful and very well made, but the last is a man's, I think. They are wide in the heel, and I could not wear them myself because they felt as though they were going to come off. The Bare boots that are made similarly are made on a different last, and are narrower in the heel.

I can't comment on the Fusion boots except to say that I dealt with them with a student a couple of weeks ago, and didn't like what I saw. But I have never dived them.

Uh oh... my LDS agreed to bring in a few sizes of the Fusion for me to try on as I was thinking I might still want to use them if I am boat diving.

Lynne, would you mind elaborating on what it was that bothered you about the Fusion boots? Since you already have the Turbosoles installed on your Fusion drysuit - and that was what I imagined the Fusion boots would be comparable to - your opinion would be quite relevant.

One of my onily big complaints about the Fusion is getting my feet all the way down into the socks. Since the boots are Velcroed on, you can't pull on them -- and if you pull on the suit, the boots can pull off the Velcro. That was my big criticism.

I use McGill boat shoes over my Fusion socks. They are stretchy mesh material with a thin rubber sole. They pull on easily, and have a good Velcro strap around the ankle. They don't come off in the water; I think it would be quite difficult for them to do that. They are easy to put on. The sole is virtually NO protection against rocks or uneven surfaces, and there is no ankle support at all. They are not ideal for diving, but since they don't require lacing and don't come off, I live with them.

The Bare boots were very nice. It's just that when I went with a bulkier sock, I pulled so hard on the rear tab that it came off, rendering the boot un-donnable, and useless.

The Turbosoles aren't the ideal answer, either, but are another acceptable compromise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom