White fins yellowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishNChip

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone!
Me and my wife bought a pair of white Scubapro Jet fins a couple of months ago.
We dive usually every month, and after each diving day we wash our gear with fresh water and let it dry outside not in direct sunlight and store it in a box at the tool shed. we recently saw that the white color started to become yellowish. I have known divers that have these fins longer than us and their fins are still white as new.
what is the cause of the discoloration? and is it possible to somehow clean the fins and return them to the original color?

Hi everyone!
Me and my wife bought a pair of white Scubapro Jet fins a couple of months ago.
We dive usually every month, and after each diving day we wash our gear with fresh water and let it dry outside not in direct sunlight and store it in a box at the tool shed. we recently saw that the white color started to become yellowish. I have known divers that have these fins longer than us and their fins are still white as new.
what is the cause of the discoloration? and is it possible to somehow clean the fins and return them to the original color?

FNC...

First guess would be ''heat''...what is the temperature inside your tool shed...

If it is heat...the characteristic of the vinyl may be changing...could cause the fins to become brittle...

W...

More guesses:
Any motors, fumes or chemicals in that storage area?
Are they turning color uniformly, or is it spotty? If spotty, they may be picking up dyes from other plastic or rubber in storage.

FNC...

First guess would be ''heat''...what is the temperature inside your tool shed...

If it is heat...the characteristic of the vinyl may be changing...could cause the fins to become brittle...

W...
Pretty hot in there, did'nt think about this..
the color is changing uniformly.
is there a way to return it to the previous color by using some chemicals?

Pretty hot in there, did'nt think about this..
the color is changing uniformly.
is there a way to return it to the previous color by using some chemicals?

FNC...

Any chemical is likely to compound the damage...and further harm the vinyl...you may have to live with the existing color...make sure the fins still retain their original pliability...in any case remove them from the heat...and check any other dive gear you have stored in this shed...

High heat is as bad if not worse than UV...

W

If you are storing more of your dive gear in the same hot place, you may be accelerating degradation of other rubber parts and components. Hope you don’t find that out on a dive.

The rubber is formulated with compounds to slow oxidation and the rubber reverting. Over time this stuff migrates to the surface of the fins and results in discoloration, unfortunately not much you can do about it. Leaving the fins in the sun to cook accelerates the process as does any heating of the fins. Sunlight decomposes the surface of the rubber, so best to limit drying off of fins in the open when subjected to sunlight. Used to work in the rubber industry, so that is where the info comes from.

I say go with the flow and embrace the yellow. Judging from my wife's kitchen adventures with currie and silicone spatulas, you just need to stir some simmering yellow curry with your rubber fins!

Back
Top Bottom