white balance card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw it here before but now can't find it...it was about different ways to make something for setting the white balance. LDS doesn't have something for me to use so what can I take down under to set my white balance?

Dive slate? I just bought a normal white slate and it works fine.

Amazon has basic ones here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002CT6QK/kkorg-20/103- 3374739-8507858

Miranda

Hey all4scuba, well white balance card's are also known as white balance slates.
Unfortunately I too don't have one and can't find one to by anywhere.

So i've actually been toying with the idea of cutting up old milk or bleach bottles and using them as a 'white balance slate'.
Would cut up maybe a 5 by 5 inch section and use that when diving to manually set white balance.

I think it would work just as well :).
Will let you know how that turns out.

cool idea...cutout of bleach bottle tied to camera housing...gonna try it. not enough time to order something

I dived with someone recently (a videographer) who dived with one white kitchen glove (the "you're soaking in it" kind of glove.)

She used that to set her WB.

Kinda interesting.

---
Ken

That's a cool idea. Do you think a Michael Jackson glove would work? I'd love to dive in one of those.

I have a Dive Slate that someone in the UK got for me that is curved to fit on your forarm (also actually has three slates so you can use one for white balance and still have two other slates for random things).

A white dive slate is the easiest as it also has other uses.

I use a cut up section of a white laundry detergent jug. The material is pretty thick. You only need a section large enough to place in front of your lens using the cameras zoom feature.

You can also use the ocean floor if it is white or light color sand, assuming you are diving at depths that allow you to be on the ocean floor.

Be sure your camera model requires a white card and not a gray card to calibrate the white balance.

I haven't used a Whibal before, but a couple buddies of mine swear by it (for land shots....but looks like you could take it underwater).

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom