Whiskey saturday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamaskubacat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK - wanting opinions from other locals. In my very limited experience it seems the Whiskey is best to dive first thing in the morning when the water is most likely to be calmer. This saturday high tide at Pickens is 7:42 and Ft. Morgan is 8:51 so I'm guessing the Whiskey would be sometime around 8:30ish. So in a perfect world this should be a good day to dive it, but will all the rain we just got ruin it or should it all be washed out by then (assuming we don't get more)? :confused:

Rainfall is only going to affect the whiskey if prevailing winds are driving the water from Mobile Bay east. Depending on the tidal change, that may be a moot point anyway.

The Whiskey isn't much to see anymore anyways. Just a few foot tall section of hull, most of the time it stays covered. In 10 years it will probably be gone because it gets beat to hell so bad

I usually look at the surf predictions to see how rough it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Whiskey isn't much to see anymore anyways. Just a few foot tall section of hull, most of the time it stays covered. In 10 years it will probably be gone because it gets beat to hell so bad

This is innaccurate.

The entirety of the hull is metal and there are lots of cross beams and even metal holds still divable on the wreck. The relief changes with the movement of the sandbar, but I can positively state that I've seen more than 15' of relief on the Whiskey Wreck, including the entire interior of the hull visibile within the past 5 years. Its a fantastic wreck when conditions are right, conditions just happen to change regularly. The sand will actually protect alot of the wreck from constant wear and tear of the gulf, allowing it to uncover and be enjoyed for generations to come.

Great link on the surf forecast. Thx.

I can positively state that I've seen more than 15' of relief on the Whiskey Wreck, including the entire interior of the hull visibile within the past 5 years. Its a fantastic wreck when conditions are right, conditions just happen to change regularly.

I agree. I dove it a couple times last year and there is still a lot to see. I'm just trying to learn how to guess at the best conditions before driving almost an hour down there.

Tess - thanks for the surf link. I hadn't seen that before. Looks like today or tomorrow would have been better days - too bad my hubby has to work.

Tess - thanks for the surf link. I hadn't seen that before. Looks like today or tomorrow would have been better days - too bad my hubby has to work.

That's the one that I have found to be the most accurate. It also has tidal information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom