Whip components

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I am well on my way to having a good high O2 setup for deco gas but I need a transfill whip and eventually a booster w/whips I suppose. I picked up the gas blender bible (oxyhacker) and read it cover to cover the same day it arrived. I have since spent all of today looking online for components. Luckily Mcmaster Carr carries most everything I need but I have come across some other items to investigate that I wanted opinions on.

I checked out the golem and fill express whips (for use with booster) as examples for parts and have nailed down where and what to get accept the cga 540 o2 fitting with handwheel and the argon/helium handwheel. does anyone know of any online source for those. I can give praxair a call on monday and since I am a dealer for their products I should get a good price but I dont have a praxair catalog anymore and I dont see the handwheels on the website. I really have no idea what these should cost. Oxyhacker provided me with the part numbers even but google doesn't seem to have an answer.

the other item in question is the gauges, digital or analog, glycerin filled or no liquid, 2.5 inch or 4" etc. I really like the idea of digital but the prices seem to be outrageous and the digital on on the fill express whip looks very nice but neither golem or fill express list the accuracy.

In an effort to save money I was considering picking up 2 of the dive rite DIN tank pressure checkers and cannibilize them for gauges, bleeders, and of course the DIN fitting as I need all of those for a whip. does anyone know the accuracy of the dive rite pressure checker gauges? Since I can get the whole setup for under $50 each it seems logical over getting the parts separately. Any reason not to use these if O2 clean them.

The final part I was not sure on was a needle valve, I am looking for brass and with a 3500-5000psi rating . I found the YVA valves which look quality and they appear to be used on commercial whips and they are said to be easy to rebuild but I have heard they dont really work good for use on O2 as they dont control flow as well as a traditional needle valve. Any one know of a good reliable source for a proper needle valve if the YVA ones are not acceptable.

I plan to take every effort to save money on this but not compromise quality but getting unrated fittings or using steel. everything is gonna be brass (ss is way over priced for this).

With what I have found I can shave about $200 off the fill express whip setup but the big expenditure is the gauge which varies so much in price and accuracy.

Please advise. Thanks

I would not use glycerin gauges on an O2 whip. Also the general rule is to use either Brass or SS components.

OxyCheq has a nice deluxe whip for a good price comes with quick disconnect and three adapters for 540, 580, and DIN.

Mat.

You might not have a lot of luck with brass needle valve at more than 3000 PSI. I'm sure there is something out there, but in my experience of looking around at hydraulic/pneumatic valves, if it's a 5ksi valve, it's almost always SS.

If you are doing PP blends without a digital gauge, you'll want the largest analog pressure gauge your can get. McMaster-Carr sells calibrated versions for accuracy. Beware, the larger gauges require a lot of room in order to mount them properly. This means room behind the gauge and to the sides. I had to mount my manifold to the wall with spacers behind it in order to get the gauge to fit.

Compressed Air Specialties (High pressure breathing air compressors, scuba air compressors, Scuba air) has a lot of the parts you'll need.

I will second the northeast scuba supply link. I do business with them quite frequently, and he has everything in stock you are looking for I believe.
Gene

Northwoods, I have a large, laboratory type, analog, oxygen gauge that I bought from Crazy John at Northeast. It is 3000 psi scale, unused. Excess to my needs and 25% off current price. Check with them and PM me if interested.

You might not have a lot of luck with brass needle valve at more than 3000 PSI. I'm sure there is something out there, but in my experience of looking around at hydraulic/pneumatic valves, if it's a 5ksi valve, it's almost always SS.

Above 3k you will usually see only in steel or SS. OTOH for a transfill whip it's unlikely that any of the components will see much above 3500 psi.

I'd also say that large accurate analog gauges don't transport all that well. If you plan to carry this whip around with you I'd pop for the digital gauge, not much in those but a strain gauge and a circuit.

My "traveling" whip has a digital gauge for the tank being filled and a small analog gauge for the supply tank end.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom