Which wing for single and doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheeky Wee Budgie Boy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Somewhere between Central America and South East A
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm about to do an equipment refresh and am looking for a new wing that will meet all my needs. I travel, so need something compact, use both single tank and doubles and need something that will work with both.

I need a small single bladder wing (smallest possible) that will keep my bagage allawance in check yet give enough lift to keep my head above water in a set of doubles (usually 2x alu 12L)

any suggestions? (Would the Apex WTX3 with 32lbs of lift work?)

cheers
CWBB

My suggestion, is not to do this.

I am not aware of anything that works well with both. Singles and Doubles require a very different shape to be effective. My 27# single tank wing is 19# wide at it's widest point and it wraps nicely around a AL80 or LP95.

My smaller doubles wing is 27" wide, and my larger doubles wing is 30" wide.

Using a wing desinged for doubles would wrap TERRIBLY on a single tank, and diving a wing designed for singles will not wrap at all around doubles and will be highly unstable.

Now it's your money, and others have tried it before. But I see a whole lot of those "dual purpose" wings in the classified section after only a couple of uses by disappointed buyers.

Good luck with your choice.

I have Halcyon eclipse single 30lb wing and 40lb explorer wing for double, I love it

Trying to get a wing that does both setups will result in one that does poorly in either.

Cheeky Wee Budgie Boy:
I'm about to do an equipment refresh and am looking for a new wing that will meet all my needs. I travel, so need something compact, use both single tank and doubles and need something that will work with both.

I need a small single bladder wing (smallest possible) that will keep my bagage allawance in check yet give enough lift to keep my head above water in a set of doubles (usually 2x alu 12L)

any suggestions? (Would the Apex WTX3 with 32lbs of lift work?)

cheers
CWBB

People who use the same wing for both singles and doubles tend to use bungeed wings such as the DR rec wing, but as you can see from the other comments so far people here don't hold them in high regard.

For 2x alu 12L you'll want a doubles wing with about 40# of lift. For singles diving 30# is fine for most people. 18# should be enough for warm water rec diving. A small singles wing only adds a pound or two to you overall weight and takes almost no space.

*Floater*:
People who use the same wing for both singles and doubles tend to use bungeed wings such as the DR rec wing, but as you can see from the other comments so far people here don't hold them in high regard.

I was thinking of mentioning the OMS #45 bungied, But that doesn't pack very well, it's a pretty bulky critter. It's a valid option for a "Do Both" wing, though.

radinator:
Trying to get a wing that does both setups will result in one that does poorly in either.

Can't agree more.

I started off with a DiveRite RecWing which has been designed for both single and doubles setup. At 51lb, I find it too large for singles. When I then use it for my doubles setup, I find it not that great in terms for venting air out of it. I ended up getting myself a Halcyon Eclipse 30lb for singles and a Evolve 40lb for doubles.

I would recommend to have different wings from different setup.

Two wings is what you need . Wings are not that heavy either , you could even pull off the inflater hose on one to save weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom