Which wetsuit for Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahle

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm traveling to Madeira Beach, Florida (by St. Pete's) in early October and was wondering what y'all recommend for wetsuit thickness. I probably won't be going deeper than 80 ft. I'm in St. Louis and have a 7 mm, but I know that will be too warm. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Wet suit thickness is a personal preference. I've been diving without a wetsuit, while the DM was in 5mm + hood. It depends on your body type and personal tolerance.

Have you logged the water temperature when diving with the 7mm suit? Have you been diving with other thicknesses, and logged the water temperature? If so, use that for comparison to the average temperatures at Maderia Beach during your visit: Madeira Beach (FL) Water Temperature | United States | Sea Temperatures. Once your trip is about to happen, make any last minute adjustments by monitoring the actual temperature (from the same web site).

October at Maderia Beach averages 79-81 degrees. For me, that's 3mm shorty at most.

Hint 1: I always take a dive cap, which is a 2-3mm beanie. We loose a lot of heat from our heads, and if I am a little cold, the cap is a great way to compensate.

Hint 2: If you don't have any data in your log book, here is a quick guide: The Perfect Wetsuit Thickness for Every Water Temp

Shorty at most for me, probably just a body suit (no thermal protection, just for scrapes, stings, etc.). No hood for me.
Everybody's different, so best bet is to try something warmer than you think you need (rent it?), then get what you need.

full.jpg

Thank you everybody. I've been diving in 53 degree water with my 7 mm and no hood and was fine. I think I may go with the shorts and rash guard option. The problem I was running into is that I'm not getting down there until after the dive shop closes and am going diving the next morning before they open. If I had to buy a 3 mm I would, but prefer not to spend the money on something that I'll very rarely use.

Is that a man-bun?

You ever wonder what a wolf thinks when it sees its distant relative, the pug? Same thing your grandpa thinks when he sees your man-bun!

I'll have an answer for you next time you post something stupid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom