Which was the very first scuba mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much
Perhaps finding the right material that allows good equalization of the ears

You do not need a mask for that. Just hold your nose and equalize. Sealing of the mask is important though.

FB_IMG_1574177241049.jpg FB_IMG_1574177271315.jpg FB_IMG_1574177247923.jpg

I saw this the other day. I have not had a chance to check the validity, but found it interesting.

DW

Although there is a long history of eye-cup googles for diving using polished turtle shell lenses, the advent of larger diving goggles requires clear glass to make much bigger lenses. Glass making goes back thousands of years, however clear glass requires the addition of certain manganese oxides and whenever that occurred I think its use in diving goggles may have followed not long after, particularly for red coral collecting to make jewellery.

Once window glass has optical properties (you can see through it without any distortion), the way is open to make "lenses" as in viewing ports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom