Which US Divers Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flotsam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up several pieces of equipment as a lot, and it included a US Divers Reg - I think the 1st stage is an Aquarius, can anyone verify?

The tanks, BCD, and computer were a good deal, so I wasn't too concerned if it was a worthwhile reg. But it would be great to use it as a pony reg and/or a spare reg for my occasionally diving husband. From what I read, the Aquarius is basic, but solid, and I could probably service it myself. It came with a plastic 2nd stage & octo as well. How does it breath? With Deep 6's second stage deal, I was wondering if it was worth adding one as the primary 2nd stage(I love how they breathe).
IMG_20171129_184628.jpg

Can you post a picture of the second stage?

I am not familiar with that first stage, but it looks like a basic non-balanced piston. It is probably a perfectly reliable piston first stage that would do fine in a pony cylinder

It is not the US Divers Aquarius that was around in the 70's and early 80's.

I looked at the Aqua Lung Spare Parts Catalog 2001 and found a diagram of that regulator (or a very similar one). It is a 1994 to 1997 Calypso or Aquarius (same diagram for both regulators).

Oops! I tried to, let me give it another go...
From the plastic second stages, I got the feeling the set up is probably mid-90's. But couldn't find a photo of the first stage on Google

IMG_20171129_184748.jpg IMG_20171129_184816.jpg

Yeah, that is a 1994 to 1997 Aquarius.

The second stage label is a very good clue. :)

But it was a hand me down, of a hand me down, of a hand me down... With no marks on the first stage, could have been put together from random bits of old regs :p Least that's something I would've done.

But thanks for the confirmation! I'll probably have the LDS give it a professional service then try to find service kits and instructions to do it myself

I need it for the mid-90s plastic second so I can get the cover off the housing without destroying it.

Like the one in the pic a few posts up.

Yeah, it can be really tough to get the cover off those plastic ones and some of the older ones get brittle and crack with very little force.

You can try a long soak in warm water. Don't use vinegar, it can affect the plastic.
You can try a hair dryer to heat it up.
I got one apart after tapping it with a rubber mallet, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you can accept the possibility of cracking and destroying the regulator.

Those second stage covers have a retainer pin in them that MUST be remove before the cover is removed. The end plug holds on a washer like piece with a tab that goes into a slot which prevents the cover from moving (it screws off).

THIS IS IMPORTANT- the end plug that holds the retainer on is also an adjustment access port and it is very prone to becoming brittle and breaking. It is very easy to damage it and AL/USD no longer sells them. Without it, the second stage is worthless. The retainer itself is not a big deal. When removing or installing the plug be very careful, it does not need to be tight, just barely snug. The good news is Bryan at VDH has made a replacement for the plug. There are 2 versions of the plug so his is designed to replace both versions. It looks different but works on both models.

Back
Top Bottom