Which Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2TH DIVR

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Aqua-Lung Royal Aqua-Master that is in great shape.
My boss gave it to me, said it has 4 dives on it from his check out dives in 1970.
Are these regulators OK too use with 3000 psi tanks?

Thanks
Scott

Hopefully it has been recently serviced. If you need any information about your regulator try this site .

The yoke is a little marginal by modern standards for 3000 psi service. It's not to say it won't hold up, just that there is no guarentee it will hold up. Fairly thin yokes were originally used by nearly all manufactures when 1800-2475 psi tanks were common. They got beefed up slightly for 3000 psi service but then, industry wide, they got a lot heavier in the mid to late 70's.

A 2250 psi steel 72 would be a better way to go with an older yoke.

The actual condition of the regulator will depend almost entirely on the conditions in which it was stored. I would suggest getting the reg serviced or at least inspected before you use it.

The first and second stages tend to be very durable and age well and the seats may still be in great shape. But the mushroom valves in the mouthpiece have a tendency to get really crispy. You can dive with bad mushroom valves, but it increases the amount of water that will flood the hoses and make clearing water from the reg much more difficult. The butterfly exhaust valve is just the opposite, it will tend to get very soft and gooey and generally disintegrate.

The hoses also need to be scrutinized carefully. I have seen generally good appearing hoses that due to age just won't take a lot of stress and are very prone to fail, particularly at the point where they attach to the regulator body.

U.S. Navy manuals for the double hoses regulators all list them as being used with 3000 psi cylinders..... But as was stated in the post above, condition of the regulator itself is crucial!

Thanks for the info.
Think I will pick up a 72.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom