Which size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomboyy

Carnival ride inspector
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to buy a pony and I'm not sure which size I want to get . It's either a 19 or 30. I'm going to use it basically for redundency and plan on slinging it. I'm going to buy a button PSI and make a sling from a DIR page and use my old 1st and second... just up-graded:D

Pros and cons for either size? Thanks

Tom

I use both sizes, the 19 is more than enough really for most diving. I have tested it from 130 feet and I have plenty of time and plenty of air. I can carry the 19 much easier as well on an airline. The 30 is good for deeper diving. I kind of think in terms of 70 to 90 cf on back tank then 13/19 cf on pony, greater than 90 cf on back tank then 30 cf or even 40 cf (with small single outlet doubles). It is not a hard rule, it is just my thinking on pony sizing.

N

I use a 30. I am still diving a single tank for the time being and have had no problems getting used to the pony. It trims nicely and it is nice having plenty of gas. I think that this size of tank will grow with you as you advance in diving if you so choose.

I use a 30. I am still diving a single tank for the time being and have had no problems getting used to the pony. It trims nicely and it is nice having plenty of gas. I think that this size of tank will grow with you as you advance in diving if you so choose.[/QUOTE]

I think maybe that was what I was wanting to hear. Thanks to you N and you mike.

Tom

I own 30 and 40 cf, because they are more applicable to both recreational and technical diving. If you were strictly using it for recreational backup for an unexpected out of air or primary reg/tank failure, a 19 would be most adequate and a lot easier to handle (out of the water) than a 30. I would say they all (19-30-40) feel the same during the dive (pretty much not noticable). I did a calculation with my dive planner software- in a 30 fpm ascent from 120fsw with a 3 min safety stop and a SAC rate of 0.8 cfm (pretty high) you would use 13.7 cf of gas.

I also have both, but rarely use the 30. The 19 is enough to get me up from all but a very deep dive.

There are two sizes of 30s. The Catalina is 5.25" in diameter and the Luxfer is 4.88" in diameter. Of course, the fatter one is about 2" shorter. I tend to prefer the skinnier one when attached to a rig (my prefered method) and the fatter one when slung. You may prefer the other way around but it is something to think about.

By the way, I rarely use my 19. I tend to use my 13 only for under 30 feet and a 30 or 40 when deeper. My ponies are on quick release to hand off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom