which sigma macro lens is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cim72lando

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested in finding which particular Sigma lens, Ikelite has an availble port for. The lens I am interested in for my nikon D300 is the "Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro or the Sigma 17-70mm Macro" as listed in the Ikelite website. I called Ikelite twice and they could not provide me the info except that it is not the HMS model. The macro feature is really what I'm after for marine line that's bigger than those taken with a 60mm or 105 macro lens. Does anybody know the complete name of these Sigma lensl/lenses or there specific manufacturer numbers? I just don't want to buy the wrong lens i.e., no available port. Any impression with these lenses are also appreciated.

I have the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 Macro (non HMS). It would be suited for taking photos of subjects which are larger than what you would use a 60mm on. Its not as fast as the 60mm for macro nor fast in takening wide angle like the Tokina 10-17mm. I use this lens behind the 8 inch dome as a general purpose lens. I am not that impressed with it as everytime I use it I always kick myself that I should have either taken out the 60mm or the 10-17mm.

I believe there is also a Tokina 35mm Macro lens out there which might be more suited to you.

Tokina AT-X M35 Pro DX AF 35mm f/2.8 Macro

Regards Mark

Mark,

The information and personal experience with the Sigma 17-70mm Macro lens expressed in your reply are appreciated. This illustrates the value of the Scubaboard forum. I presume most of your fantastatic underwater shots were taken by either the 60mm or 10-17 mm lenses. If you do use diopters to get bigger than 1:1 magnification which ones did you find most satisfying? For warm water diving, which are your favorite destinations and why?

Mark,

The information and personal experience with the Sigma 17-70mm Macro lens expressed in your reply are appreciated. This illustrates the value of the Scubaboard forum. I presume most of your fantastatic underwater shots were taken by either the 60mm or 10-17 mm lenses. If you do use diopters to get bigger than 1:1 magnification which ones did you find most satisfying? For warm water diving, which are your favorite destinations and why?

I would say 95% of my shots are taken with either the 60mm or the Tokina 10-17mm. With the other 5% being with either the 105mm or 17-70mm. I am playing with the 105mm more recently but I find the 60mm more versatile unless you have shy subjects and need the extra focal range. I also have been playing with 2x teleconverter with the 60mm to turn the setup into a 120mm focal range but with 2:1 image size. I fit this into the 105mm flat port with no real problems. Its a little hard to get use too and a goodfocusing light is really required. I also use diopters like +2 on the 105 and 60 for close up work. I find the 60mm with +2 more satisfying.

On the other hand I really like the macro-mate style of wet dioptics. I saw these in action on a recent trip to Indonesia and saw one which had another dioptre infront of the macromate. This turned the setup into a 4x image size super macro. Best thing about it if you dont want to go super macro you can fold the dioptre's out of view. I did hear that someone was making custom macro-mate style fold away dioptre's in Asia (Taiwan) for a fraction of the cost of the orginal macro mate. (if anyone knows who is making these setups i would love to find out more).

For warm water diving. My local site of Julian Rocks, Byron Bay is still unbeatable in my opinion during the warm summer months. During the summer months the water is around 25-27c and vis can get over 30m. But its the creatures we get around. Summer means lots of Leopard Sharks and its quiet common to have maybe 12 in view swimming around or laying on the bottom. We often gets Manta's also on a regular basis. As for macro there are always heaps of small stuff and large amounts of nudi's to shoot.

The boat ride is only 5-10minutes from shore and the town itself is very popular with tourists both local and visiting. I would find it hard to find somewhere with large amounts of large fish and animals and alot of small macro stuff like Julian Rocks.

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom