Which shop for full rentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bouyant1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

My family of four will be spending three weeks in Cozumel this spring/summer. We're very much beginner divers so we'll be renting all of our gear except masks and snorkels. A couple of us are a bit, as they would say in Coz, "gordito", so we'll require wetsuits in the 2-3xl range.

Which shops have quality gear for rent in extended sizes?

TIA!

I wear 3xl wetsuits, but XL BCDs work fine for me -- and I believe a lot of others are similar. If you know what size you wore during your certification class that would be helpful, or if you dive before your trip. Cozumel has a plenty of larger visitors, so I imagine you would be fine most places, but it wouldn't hurt to check with the specific shop if you know your size (some say BCD should be the size of a t-shirt you would wear as an undershirt, not a more loose t-shirt).

There's an excellent dive op guide in this Cozumel section of ScubaBoard, which I believe may list dive ops who include gear for free with your dives, if that might be of interest. I think Dive with Martin is one of those.

I wear 3xl wetsuits, but XL BCDs work fine for me -- and I believe a lot of others are similar. If you know what size you wore during your certification class that would be helpful, or if you dive before your trip. Cozumel has a plenty of larger visitors, so I imagine you would be fine most places, but it wouldn't hurt to check with the specific shop if you know your size (some say BCD should be the size of a t-shirt you would wear as an undershirt, not a more loose t-shirt).

There's an excellent dive op guide in this Cozumel section of ScubaBoard, which I believe may list dive ops who include gear for free with your dives, if that might be of interest. I think Dive with Martin is one of those.
Yes! Thank you. The 3mm shorty I use most is a women's 2XL. When I rent a warmer wetsuit from the dive shop where I was certified (Minnesota School of Diving - Highly recommend!), I often end up wearing men's farmer johns that are way too long. I roll them up and wear ankle weights. It's not ideal, so I'd really like to avoid that situation.

I found the dive op guide that jonhall assembled and I've been making notes on it. It's been an excellent resource! Dive with Martin and Cozumel Dive School both include gear in their prices. Cozumel Dive School includes the marine park pass in their rate.

The water temp will be warming up when you are here. You could possibly do without a wetsuit. Buy a rash guard for sun protection.
Possibly, but not necessarily. Immersion in water even just a few degrees below your body temperature will suck the heat out of your body over time. No matter when I dive around Cozumel I need at least a shorty, although different people have different tolerances for cold.

I am thin and in summertime only wear shorts and rash guard. Winter I usually get away with a shorty in the 80-81 degree water. In May the water starts warming up and by June is at least 82 degrees, so warm. The key is keeping warm when you get out of the water and on surface interval. If I plan on doing decompression diving then I wear full 5mm suit or drysuit.

For sure Dive with Martin. Excellent equipment included in the dive price. Outstanding divemasters and Captains, too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom