Which safety sausage or surface marker do you recommend ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For open ocean diving, I favour a 6' faily wide dsmb. When on the surface it's important (from a pick up boats point of view) to fully inflate it to make yourself more easily seen. I do also carry a 12' dsmb, but that would only be inflated at the surface in extreme conditions.

My go to dsmb is my AP self sealing dsmb with inflation cylinder which is perfect for single handed deployment in current (my standard dives) However it doesn't come cheap, and is bulky. Their standard dsmb without the inflation cylinder is pretty much the same dsmb but without the cylinder.

I'm just waiting deliver of my new inflation cylinder dsmb, my current one has seen better days, it's 5 years old and has been predominantly used in the extreme temperatures of the Middle East. It's become faded nd leaks air from the seams - but it has had approx 700 plus inflations, so it's done pretty well I think

The best product that no one can find...

I think this guy was trying to sell them. Note the similarity of his name and that of the product.

I think this guy was trying to sell them. Note the similarity of his name and that of the product.

Excuse me??? What am I trying to sell? On what web site am I trying to sell it? What links are provided on ANY of my posts for anything I am trying to sell? Please accept this as a glove slap from days gone past, dear sir!

(ok, I'm kidding about the glove slap. But I don't know where the rest of it is coming from.)

Excuse me??? What am I trying to sell? On what web site am I trying to sell it? What links are provided on ANY of my posts for anything I am trying to sell? Please accept this as a glove slap from days gone past, dear sir!

(ok, I'm kidding about the glove slap. But I don't know where the rest of it is coming from.)

Well..., I have actually posted about this product in other threads, but I don't see any relationship to my handle, or how the link benefits me. I own it. I like it. I don't have anything to do with the company.

New! 6ft Orange SMB

Sorry if my post was not clear. I was speaking about graveyard diver, not you. His video is called graveyard smoke. He does not give a link on where to buy the product and his post seems to match the narrative of the video.

I carry a little 1m Halcyon closed DSMB with oral inflator, takes 1 breath to fully inflate. I've got a finger spool attached.

I would never want an open DSMB. In my opinion it is easier, quicker and safer to have a closed DSMB that inflates with 1 breath (unless you dive in the Bering Sea and need a monster). Being closed you can also wave it around above your head without losing air.

Simple and safe:
- hold DSMB and spool in left hand
- Take reg out of the mouth with right hand
- Blow the DSMB up with the single breath - no buoyancy change!
- Let the DSMB shoot up whilst replacing reg, take next breath - no buoyancy change!

Blowing an open DSMB up with an octo or primary exhaust bubbles etc. messes around too much for when a simpler solution is available.

LOL. Sorry for the lack of response, I didn't have the "subscribe" box checked.

We bought the smoke grenades from a company in Nevada. They aren't very expensive.
Then we sealed them with the easily available food saver machine.

They have held up very well but I suspect as cheap as they are I'd replace it every year just as a safety precaution.
We don't actually sell them, we just call them that because that's the name of our scuba diving group.

I'll check with my buddy and get the name of the place he ordered them from.

Back
Top Bottom