which rig? (I am about to buy an SMS75 is this a mistake)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wanted to give sidemount a try. No available teachers for sidemount in the area and I cannot travel at the moment for one. I have been diving doubles (not long though) so I'm used to hogarthian style setups(7ft hose..etc). What rig would you all recommend for mostly cold water diving with steel tanks and a drysuit? Might use the occasional aluminum tank but doubtful, definitely not often though as I have 4 steel tanks. Thanks!

Last edited:
What area of New York are you in? I teach the course on Long Island and Dutch. Goodlifedivers.com

The Hollis SMS 75 is a good rig for what you’re describing. There are others but nothing wrong with the Hollis. As mentioned, speed up the learning curve a lot by seeking a good instructor.

I’m in upstate so like 3-4hrs from you.
I have limited real world experience in SM steel and aluminum. For steels the SMS 75 works just fine, especially if you fine a good deal for one.

For me, it would be worth a few hours drive and perhaps a weekend trip to have a mentor/instructor help set up the rig and tanks and demonstrate sidemount. It doesn't take long to learn with an instructor but could save you days of effort to learn it on your own.

the 75 was an hugely popular rig when it came out. only reason you hear less of it is due to the release of the katana. everyone wants the latest and greatest right ?
the 75 was designed for what you want to do. it came from florida cave divers using steel tanks. so it will be great for using steels up your way.
as said previous, you only need to add drings and sliders etc to the waist belt for an attachment point for the allum. do not try to use the butt rails. unless you are planing on adding weight to the allum so they behave like steels.
contrary to what you will read online, adding weight to allums is not the end of the world. for ow diving in cooler waters it may actually be easier for you. if you were diving a minimalist system in warm water or caving then i would advise against it. but otherwise, if it works best for you then go for it.
you will also need to replace the stock bungee if you use allum. the bungee that usually comes with a 75 is too heavy. but that is easy.
all that said, i think you will prefer steels for cooler water diving. so this rig will do well.

Do what feels good to you!! You will get a hundred conflicting opinions just like the pony debate!! If it's not a huge expense, go for it!! Have fun!!!! As for upstate NY where are you??? I surely hope you are at least above I 90!! I consider upstate my zone at the St. Lawrence!! This however is just my $.05 , adjusted for inflation!!

I have the SMS75. Have only used it in the pool (and once at quarry), but it works fine. Comfortable. I'm diving steels. I know someone who made it work with aluminums. I know a number of people who use it locally with steels and all really like it.

ETA: yes, replace the stock bungees with thinner cord. The stock stuff is way too stiff!

Hope you can find one used. I got mine and the weight plate for something like $425.

Where upstate are you? Deep Stop SCUBA in Camillus does sidemount, and they are a Hollis dealer.

I really don't know who would think this is a good idea.
received_10207646000884826.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom