Which regulator to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewDiverinFL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in the market to buy my son his own scuba equipment. The only thing I am stuck on is which regulator. Hoping someone on here can help me out as I plan on buying the equipment this weekend. Can’t decide between the Atomic Z3 or the Atomic B2. For the $200 difference should I go with the B2? Diving conditions will be 30’ Max with most diving in the 15-25’ range. Water temp will be at least 80 degrees. Knowing this, what would be the best option. Don’t want to spent the extra $200 if I don’t have to. Will the Z3 perform the same and last the same as the B2?

Yes it will. Basically anything you can buy from any reputable manufacturer will be fine. The B2 would be a waste of money, IMO. Of course, as I’m sure others will tell you as well, going with something like Deep6 will save you more money for a high performance reg setup.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I may pick up some gear in the near future after doing my first non training OW dives and getting the itch to just buy my own gear. I really have no clue what the difference between some of these regulators that cost $500 difference are.

If you have a LDS that you trust to do servicing, that can make a big difference for me. I have a LDS nearby that services Dive Rite equipment so I went with them. If your LDS is good and they have the Z3’s and you like them, it’s a good purchase and I’m sure you’ll be happy with it!

If you don’t fall into this category, buying from Deep6 seems like a good plan because you can just mail them your regs and they’ll do the service for you. First time is free and only has an every other year service policy.

The local dive shop is great and that is where I will be buying the equipment. They have both the B2 and Z3 in stock so I am just trying to figure out if it pays to go with the B2.

I really have no clue what the difference between some of these regulators that cost $500 difference are.

Basically anything you can buy from any reputable manufacturer will be fine.

What he said!

Personally I am fond of Sherwood regs, they have served me well over the years, and don't break the bank.

Bob

No good reason to buy a z3 over a z2. If you want the 2nd stage swivel, there are plenty of good non proprietary options that let you use normal hoses.

No good reason to buy a z3 over a z2. If you want the 2nd stage swivel, there are plenty of good non proprietary options that let you use normal hoses.
I know a lot of shops have stopped selling the Z2 and now only sell the Z3.

Will have a Sherwood octo.
Most people here would recommend to use the same regulator type for both primary and secondary regs. Makes maintenance easier and when you have an emergency it’s not the best time to find out there are differences between the two regs.

Back
Top Bottom