Which regulator for both very cold & warm waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is bling the only difference?
Almost, but not quite: Revisit difference between Apex XTX50/100/200 The second stages are identical except for the bling, but the sets come with different 1st stages.

The usual secondary on an Apeks set is the XTX40. The only significant differences from the 50 is short exhaust ports and that you need an Allen key to adjust the cracking pressure

In the EU, excellent ice performance, stellar warm performance, under $1500 -seriously consider a Poseidon Xstream - Deep or Black. With matching octo it's pushing/slightly over $1500 - prices in the EU are better than ours.

Approved to cold water standard, EN250
• Approved for use under ice down to -1,6 °C / 29.12 °F without CWD kit
Side exhaust keeps bubbles out of your face.

Poseidon Xstream Regulator

I dive a Jetstream in the tropics occasionally - it's an excellent breather. As good as my Atomic just slightly more forceful feeling of air on demand - it's hard to quantify but it seems to push air slightly.

Last edited:
In the EU, excellent ice performance, stellar warm performance, under $1500 -seriously consider a Poseidon Xstream - Deep or Black. with matching octo it's pushing/slightly over $1500

Approved to cold water standard, EN250
• Approved for use under ice down to -1,6 °C / 29.12 °F without CWD kit

I dive a Jetstream in the tropics occasionally - it's an excellent breather. As good as my Atomic just slightly more forceful feeling air on demand.
Thx for the tip. The second stage looks so small in comparison with other regulators. Is this a completely different design?

Just be sure to buy what you can get serviced locally so you don't have to travel to far to get things serviced.
Scubapro, apeks, mares, Poseidon are usually no problem to get serviced in Europe.
Poseidon is mostly on the expensive side of things
Any proper cold water approved reg ( EN250) will do just fine.
For icediving I would suggest 2 seperate first stages so in case of a reg freezing up you have a redundant system.
For warm water diving as already mentioned a cold water reg will do just fine.

And if you're going to dive seriously cold water, you will get freeflows. If your reg set is a good cold water set like an Apeks¹, it'll almost always be a 2nd stage freeflow. Since those normally happen on the surface after the dive (unless you pre-breathe enthusiastically before going down), they are a minor annoyance. Unless you freak out, but since you now know there's no reason for that... :)

¹ Or others mentioned already, but I haven't used those except my first reg set which was a Sherwood which is now retired due to access to service parts around here

I don't follow Aqualung but I believe the Legend Glacia is their best cold water model - it has the lip guard on the 2nd stage.

Poseidon's are about the same size as other 2nd's maybe a little longer since they vent to the side. It's nice since the bubbles do also.

I don't believe there's a better cold water regulator available if that's what you want. Any of these regs being discussed perform equally well in warmer water.

Since you mentioned long hose/DIR check with a dealer to ensure they or someone sells a long hose - the fitting is proprietary. Likely adds to the cost,

One consideration might be what brands you can get serviced locally

Last edited:
One consideration might be what brands you can get serviced locally
Which is why, if the OP is located in the US, I'm rather reluctant to recommend Apeks brand reg sets. In this case, though, since the OP is located on the right side of the pond I have no issues recommending Apeks.

Another vote for Apeks XTX50 with a DS4/DST. Have 5 sets and they have been great.

Which is why, if the OP is located in the US, I'm rather reluctant to recommend Apeks brand reg sets. In this case, though, since the OP is located on the right side of the pond I have no issues recommending Apeks.

I think most (all? almost all?) Aqua Lung servicing dealers will also service and sell Apeks in the US.

Back
Top Bottom