Which regulator do you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is adressed to cold water divers but WWW are also invited to answer.

which regulator do you own and why is it the best?

My old 1994 Dacor is about to be useless due to lack of parts availability and I just wanna see what are the options for a 99% deep and cold water diver like me.

Scubapro MK16.. Its a solid performer and was designed for cold water diving and harsh environment. However, this model has been discontinued and if I'm not mistaken has been replaced by MK17.

I've got a Poseidon Cyclon. It works well in the winter; I can inflate, inflate, and inhale at the same time. The water temperature doesn't drop much below 4C, even under the thermocline. I dive year-round.

I have not had a free-flow with it, although my n isn't large enough to give any statistical relevance. I do note that if it's been more than about two months between dives, it is stiff for the first half of the dive.

Parts and maintenance are a problem, as the only shop in town that could maintain them has closed. The guy who did the work doesn't seem interested in repairing them after moving on from the shop.

As well, they require a long soak instead of the "rental dip". I fill a tub with fresh water and let them sit for 20-40 minutes after each dive. If I do this first, the time is usually up by the time I've taken care of my other gear. If not, I grab a cocoa / iced tea and let them sit.

They work great, though.

I've got Dive Rite Hurricane regs, the coldest I've had them so far is 39*f with no problem.

I love my Kirby Morgan Superflow 350 second stage that I run off of a Sherwood Blizzard first stage. The Sherwood Blizzard second stage is my safe second if I attach to my primary cylinder via. the Blizzard 1st.

When I cary a redundant cylinder (e.g. pony bottle) I run the Blizzard 2nd off an old Sherwood Brut 1st stage.

Parts are easy to come by with all of my gear, even though it's all old (like maybe 15+ years).

Apeks XTX100s. Currently at two seconds stages and three first stages, two DIN and one yoke.

Why are they the best for me? They were designed as a cold water regs (made in the UK) and naturally are great in warm water as well. They breath phenomenally but don't spontaneously freeflow in cold water. Great hose routing with two HP ports and four 3/8" LP ports, no first stage swivel required (been there done that), environmentally sealed diaphram first stage, *very* low profile on the first stage for a singles rig, the second stage exhaust is configurable to be either wide (primary) or narrow (backup).

Highly recommend the XTX100s, also the XTX200s or the Aqualung Legends (but I like the hose routing on the XTX100s better). For similar reasons I would also recommend the Scubapro combination of MK17/G250V. Not personally a fan of piston first stages after a buddy had freeflow issues with the Scubapro MK25/S600, he's not had issues since changing over to the MK17/G250V. YMMV.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you can get them serviced locally by an experienced technician, and that you'll also be able to get them serviced if you run into problems on a dive vacation. Good luck.

Scubapro MK16.. Its a solid performer and was designed for cold water diving and harsh environment. However, this model has been discontinued and if I'm not mistaken has been replaced by MK17.
I believe this is correct. I have the Mk17 with the S600 second stage, and although I haven't used it in excessively cold water yet, I like its compactness and it breathes very well. My main reg is an Atomic Z2. Have no idea about its cold water performance but I know that you can get it environmentally sealed. No other reg I have ever used could match the ease and comfort of breathing performance of the Atomic. It's an amazing piece of equipment.

I own 2 Poseidons, a 20 year old red (now pink) Odin (Jetstream) and a new X-Stream. The Odin has never suffered a freeze up on any ice dives, even without it's vodka environment cap. It also proved it can deliver more air that a buddy AND I can use at 285'. The X-Stream easily has the same air flow rates as the Odin, plus it isn't as picky in shallow depth. It also worked great on ice diving last winter, again with no freeze ups (other so called cold water regulators were freezing like crazy).
They are the best FOR ME simply because they have never let me down under any conditions.
Safe Diving,
George

I have 4 Scubapro MK25/S600's. one for recreational, two for my doubles & one a for deco regulator. I do dive these in rather cold water (it's 42 degrees at the bottom of the quarry). To date (knock on wood) I have never had any problems with them, although I do understand that it's probably a freeze- up waiting to happen. I love the way they breathe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom